Wrong workgroup name

Hi all,

I'm using the Raspberry Pi (3, stretch) as a pi hole in our LAN. It has a static IP address on eth0. Wifi is not used. It works well. The only thing I notice is when I scan our LAN. There are several pc's and they all show the workgroup name "WORKGROUP". The Pi however shows the workgroup name "RASPBERRYPI d". I don't know where this comes from. How can I change this into the same "WORKGROUP"?.

Thanks beforehand,

Rgs, Fokke Nauta

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

That will be somewhere in Samba configuration.

/etc/samba/smb.conf

there is a workgroup directive. edit it and restart samba

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 16:09:35 +0200, Fokke Nauta declaimed the following:

Workgroups are mostly a Windows networking feature.

For non-Windows, your are likely looking at configuration files for Samba (SMB protocol)

Hmmm -- interesting, the config file on my R-Pi3 IS configured as "WORKGROUP"

-=-=-=- md_admin@microdiversity:~$ cat /etc/samba/smb.conf # # Sample configuration file for the Samba suite for Debian GNU/Linux. # #======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

## Browsing/Identification ###

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of workgroup = WORKGROUP

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:

-=-=-=-

OTOH; I don't believe I have Samba running on that device (it does not show up in the Win10 Network list -- whereas the R-Pi3 running the Pi-Star software DOES appear under "WORKGROUP"; going to see what happens if I edit the config to my IMPERIUM group and reboot)

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

Thanks.

Under [global] it says: workgroup = WORKGROUP netbios name = RASPBERRYPI

That should be enough, shouldn't it?

Fokke

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

[global]

workgroup = WORKGROUP netbios name = RASPBERRYPI

That should be OK, to my opinion.

Getting curious!

Fokke

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

Interestingly, my smb.conf doesn't have a "netbios name" keyword, either active or commented-out. Presumably in the absence of the explicit keyword, it implicitly uses the computer's hostname.

And my workgroup keyword is set to WORKGROUP, like yours is.

I must admit I don't use workgroups and just connect to a "server's" shares using UNC \\server\share - for accessing all servers (Windows and Pi) from all clients (Windows). For commonly-used shares, I mount the sharename on a Windows drive letter ("net use r: \\martin-pi\pi-rec").

Reply to
NY

I added "netbios name = RASPBERRYPI" myself, as I've seen that somewhere. And accessing my Pi with \\raspberrypi\pi works, but the password is not correct. Strange, as I entered that in the Pi like "sudo smbpasswd -a pi".

Reply to
Fokke Nauta