wi-pi is working, kinda sorta

All, I purchased the wi-pi adapter from Newark Electronics (I bought my raspberry pi from them, too) and I'm able to ping my router (and any website), and I can get on the Internet by using the Lynx bowser (text only). If I run startx I can't get on the Internet by using Midori or any other web browser; unable to resolve. If I enter the ip address of the web page, it still won't load (that's the error message, "unable to load"). I'm also using a hub I purchased from Newark, that's passive; i.e., no power. I purchased a powered hub, but that didn't help. I'm going to try troubleshooting this tonight, but if anybody can send me a solution before then (or any other time), I'd appreciate it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Marshall

That doesn't sound like a wifi consideration - more of a routeing or firewall issue. If you can ping the router, there's no on-board reason you can't ping anywhere else.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

Have you tried using Wicd to configure your network settings?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Roger, I stated (parenthetically) that I can ping, (... any website). ...and I can visit any website with Lynx. Furthermore (I didn't mention this one before) I can see the RASPBERRYPI computer from other computers on my home network; a firewall or router issue would prevent this. I was thinking it might be a packet size issue. The page loading problem (the message is "unable to resolve", but when I use the website ip address the pages still don't load) might have been some type of time out issue, but messing with mtu size didn't help. I have a few more things I can try out before I have too do any serious work.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Marshall

That would point me in the direction of DNS issues, how is the Pi being told which DNS to use? Is it being told the right one?

Sites hosted on shared servers require the relevant domain name in the GET command so they know which site to serve. Without it you may get a page from the hosting co or nothing at all.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, but I just looked it up afer reading your post. I did everything by hand. I setup /etc/network/intefaces to use dhcp, and it gets a lease; comes up OK on the boot. I messed around with the packet size, but it still seems to be some kind of timeout issue when I use x-windows. I don't get any timeouts when using eth0, so maybe the wi-pi is too slow. Maybe I need to mess with the ttl of the packets. Anyway, I can mount a network drive (that's on a Windows 7 PC) on my Raspberry Pi, so my network setup must be OK.

Reply to
Dave Marshall

If you run lynx in a terminal window on the desktop that works?

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

website).

this

my

thinking

is

still

with

have

Reply to
Dave Marshall

Reply to
Dave Marshall

website).

this

my

thinking

is

still

with

have

Reply to
Dave Marshall

Dave, can you stop "top posting", please?

--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 56th day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
           "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"

Dave - could you be persuaded to adopt the bottom post convention that others are using in this newsgroup?

The mixture of top and bottom posting on this interesting thread makes it hard to follow.

John

--
John Rickman -  http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/lynx
The essence of reaching a political solution is that you must let

es

Seconded.

James

Reply to
James Harris

Dave Marshall Inscribed thus:

Could be a permissions issue !

--
Best Regards:
                        Baron.

Which you can find using iptables-save. If it prints something else than just a newline you have firewall rules enabled, and these will be listed.

To test basic connectivity, use ping

(just choosing a well connected host that answers ping). You should see lines of uniformly increasing sequence numbers, one per second. End with control-c.

Next try ping -i 0.2

you should see 5 pings a second. Let it run for 100 pings, and break with control-c.

If all this works without packet loss or delays then your network basic connectivity is OK, then you have to look at filters and permissions.

You can try to execute the network part of the HTTP directly by using telnet. "telnet

80", and key in "GET / HTTP/1.0" followed by a double return. You should get a lot of html back. (uppercase is important).

If all of these work, then the error is with the application itself.

-- mrr

Reply to
Morten Reistad

I thought you said lynx worked on the gui desktop?

If it's not working it's probably the network manager on the desktop overriding your wifi configuration. best solution is probably disabling the network manager. I'm not sure how.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

"Lynx stopped working" as a diagnostic is about as useless as my long ex girlfriend phoning on her mobile saying 'how to I find your house' and when I asked 'where are you?' she said 'I don't know or I wouldn't have phoned'.

You are second guessing the problem. Don't guess, ask.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Start X open a terminal type this on the command line:

host

You should see something like this:

host

has address 74.125.137.106
has address 74.125.137.105
has address 74.125.137.103
has address 74.125.137.147
has address 74.125.137.99
has address 74.125.137.104
has IPv6 address 2607:f8b0:4002:c01::63

I doubt wi-pi is too slow, unless it is implementing CP/IP[*] and you live in a hawk infested environment[**]. ;-)

[*] CP/IP = Carrier Pigeon Internet Protocol [**] which would lend new meaning to the term "packet loss"
isn't looking good, either.
I R A Darth Aggie

Oh, you mean a terminal window brought up with xwindows running. It doesn't; no browser works after running startx, so this isn't a network issue. In fact, I fixed the problem. I switched to the Mate windows manager, and everthything works. I first thought this might be a power problem, since I was adding a device, but using a powered hub didn't work. I found that Raspbian used to have problem with certain mice, but switching to a different mouse didn't help. ...and, deleting all of my log files (too free up disk space didn't help - my SD card was getting pretty full).

It obviously had something to do with startx, so I changed from lxcde to Mate, and I can now browse with my gui up. Btw, you can read about Mate on the raspbian.org website. Mate is the resurrection of gnome 2, so I thought it would use less processor time then gnome 3 or kde.

Dave

website).

this

my

thinking

is

still

with

have

Reply to
Dave Marshall

This isn't a network issue, like everybody seems to think. In fact, I fixed the problem. I switched from lxcde to the Mate and everthything works. I first thought this might be a power problem, since I was adding a device, but using a powered hub didn't work. I found that Raspbian used to have problem with certain mice, but switching to a different mouse didn't help. ...and, deleting all of my log files (too free up disk space didn't help - my SD card was getting pretty full).