USB V, I and mAhr meter

Handy little
gadget:

dp/B00M7TA2D2

Other similar devices are available for less but they use 7 segment
LED displays. With the limited power availabilty on USB you don't
want your meter soaking up those precious mA's.
Seems to work pretty well but not had a chance to play properly (it
only arrived this morning). Shows the voltage droops on a 2A USB
supply when powering a 2TB USB HHD which is drawing 240 mA all the
time but spikes to at least 680 mA on spin up. The measuring interval
is too slow to really show such spikes though. It also has a mAHr
measurement, that drive has consumed 2,274 mAHrs in about 9 hours,
ties in but it's only maths...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:25:16 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote in :
What's the purpose of the second port (uUSB?) next to the cable inlet? Can you log info from there? ("you can easily scan it") Or indeed from the main cable? Does it also pass through power? ("Can get power from the male connector and Micro USB port")
We used to have Japenglish in our documentation, now we have Chinenglish... :-/
Thanks.
--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________  CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University.    Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch]    Room 40-1-B12, CERN
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ivan D. Reid
Haven't figured that out and not had time to plug it into a host to see if it has any USB smarts inside, I doubt it has as it doesn't need any. A logging output would be nice but it's not mentioned. I suspect it's an alternative uUSB "standard" power input to use instead of the Type A "male"(*).
Er yes, that's the purpose of it to show the volts and current flowing on the bus. The mAh reading with 10 memories I can imagine being useful for those designing USB powered devices intending to run them from batteries.
Or bung it in your phone/table USB charging lead and see how much current it's taking (thus how fast the charge will be) and how much energy has been transfered.
(*) How you can sex a USB connector where the mating conductors just slide against each other I'm not sure.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________  CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University.    Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch]    Room 40-1-B12, CERN
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ivan D. Reid
Like you say cheap enough, but I bought one of the "Charge Doctor" to see why my Qi charger didn't work when used from *some* USB cigar lighters, it didn't help becuse the charger wouldn't work from *any* USB outlets with the Charge Doctor in series ...
Maybe the LCD vs LED display will reduce the current draw enough to help.
Reply to
Andy Burns
It's a power input for sure, so the unit can measure the performance of hardwired uUSB "standard" chargers/PSU's. Just used it between a Pi and power source: PSU > (Type A - uUSB) > Meter > (Type A - uUSB)
Limited as in none supplied with the unit. Bunging the model number KCX-017 into google is far more productive. Still chinglish. B-)
It has no USB smarts as expected. Plugged into linux box lights up, indicates voltage and zero current, nothing new in dmesg, plug memory stick into it, it now shows 0.06 A and dmesg shows the memory stick.
I don't think I've ever seen a host USB or simple power source port that isn't Type A. So you'd plug into the Type A outlet with a Type A to uUSB (or what ever the Nexus 7 uses) lead.
At least it has confirmed why the USB HDD and Pi on the same 2.1 A USB power supply weren't happy. 2.1 A is probably enough current, just, but the voltage sags due to cable length. The Pi doesn't mind but the HDD does. Now is there a fig 8 mains input twin Type A outlet 2 to 3 A USB supply out there?
--
Cheers
Dave.

Rick
Reply to
rickman
number
Much better images here:

The other large chip is a PIC16F1933.
--
Cheers
Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice
Like with sex, one of the things has to go inside the other. Do you need me to draw a picture?
---druck
Reply to
druck
just
You are missing the point that it is the mating conductive parts of each circuit that determines the sex. In a USB connector the mating conductors only slide against each other, one does not penetrate the other.
The body shells do fit one in the other but that does not determine the sex of the connecter. There are connectors out there where the male or female connection parts can be fitted into either body shell part. Or are even designed such that the connector with pins fits over the matching connector with holes, take a look at cable mounted XLRs joining together. Then look at panel mounted and a cable connector, the sex could be considered to swap if you just used bodyshell.
--
Cheers
Dave.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
But that's 10% of what a "standard"(*) USB port can deliver. Enough such that your measuring kit can have significant effect.
The ones I saw had two line displays.
(*) The wonderful things about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
--
Cheers
Dave.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
This might be of help in purchasing decisions:

As the load resistor is .05R, that 2A should be dropping just 0.1V.
--
Mike Fleming
Reply to