suddenly no sound on Raspbian, Raspberry Pi 2

On my Raspberry Pi 2, I suddenly have no HDMI sound and no headphone sound either save for the hello_audio.bin test, which works for the headphones but not the HDMI.

I have tried this:

test-sound () { sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835 for output in 0..2; do sudo amixer -c 0 cset numid=3 $output sudo aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav done }

No sound, no error message.

I uncommented the

hdmi_drive=2

line in

/boot/config.txt

and rebooted - same.

OS:

No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Raspbian Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 8.0 (jessie) Release: 8.0 Codename: jessie

                   - so far: 42 Blogomatic articles -
Reply to
Emanuel Berg

I have this wrapper for the omxplayer - note the line with adev - I put local there and the

3.5 mm audio port sends sound.

However putting 'hdmi' or 'both' there, as the man page describes, doesn't get the HDMI (audio) going.

plo () { local file=$1

if [[ ! -f $file ]]; then no-file-msg $file return fi

local keys=~/public_html/conf/.omx-keys

local vol_mod=0 sudo omxplayer --align center \ --blank \ --key-config $keys \ --loop \ --font-size 35 \ --vol $vol_mod \ --adev local \ $file > /dev/null }

Also, I wrote this function to test the sound:

test-sound () { sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835 for output in 0..2; do sudo amixer -c 0 cset numid=3 $output sudo aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav done /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_audio/hello_audio.bin # 3.5 mm /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_audio/hello_audio.bin 1 # HDMI }

Well, at this point, it confirms the state...

                   - so far: 42 Blogomatic articles -
Reply to
Emanuel Berg

Did you update? The new bluetooth extension installs pulseaudio. That made amixer not work on my 2B RPi (without bluetooth). I uninstalled pulseaudio (and autoremove after that) and all was well again.

Reply to
A. Dumas

I didn't upgrade, and I didn't have pulseaudio installed - so what I did was dist-upgrade, and now it works, with pulseaudio installed!

I suppose knowing the path and following it are two different things :)

                   - so far: 42 Blogomatic articles -
Reply to
Emanuel Berg

Huh!

Reply to
A. Dumas

Roberts' tip: If all else fails, read the directions. If that doesn't work, follow them.

:-)

Reply to
colonel_hack