Small UPS

Seagate (yep really!), they're enterprise grade drives that have spent five years sitting in some under-loaded corporate server (nobody chooses 3.5" SAS for heavy loads) and now have an even more restful life in my NAS[1]. They were also very cheap - I'm a great believer that the I in RAID should not be an E. I'll also take second hand enterprise gear over fancy domestic gear any day.

[1] Yes that is also second hand enterprise gear - it's a supermicro rack tuned down to be just fast enough to saturate both LAN interfaces serving NFS from ZFS and decrypting the drives.
C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Typo - I meant 12v->5v converter with 3A current capability.

I got one off eBay a couple of years back fro around GBP 6 and its fine for what I need - powering a PNA off a 12v SLA. Apparently these are sold for people who want to bling up their cars with LEDs.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Buy a UPS which can notify the computer when anything changes (mains turns of or on, internal battery getting low, etc). They are available

said, and usually will also supply a monitoring server that you can configure to do whatever you want it to do such as shutting down the computer after a pause to let the power come back online. Shouldn't be hard to make it start a generator that is connected to the computer downstream of the UPS and then stop it again when the mains comes back on.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

No! Series. 1 or 2 W is about right, but you need to find one that when run like this gives about the right trickle charge current - for SLAs it's not usually critical.

The diodes are *before* the 12V->5V regulator.

--
W J G
Reply to