Re: When to reboot?

In Debian (and therefore presumably also Raspbian) a libc upgrade will automatically result in a lot of services being restarted.

NSS functionality is the main issue; presumably the ABI is tightly couple to the specific libc version.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

?telinit u? or ?systemctl daemon-reexec?.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to
Richard Kettlewell

No, this isn't after a libc update, it's after a FIREFOX update.

I can only assume that firefox revisits itself on the hard disk in someway and loads in bits that no longer match whats running.

The Natural Philosopher

You can. Almost the same way as for unix. True, you cannot overwrite a running windows program, or a dll that someone is using. But you can RENAME it. And then put the new version of the exe/dll. Just as for unix, the new version in not used until reloaded. Restart exe or restart all exes using a particular dll. Of course, you need to delete the old renamed file yourself. And finding all processes using a particular dll may be hard. So a reboot will fix that for yuo on windows too.

Björn Lundin

Hello Martin,

DR>> In addition to the excellent advice, you should upgrade and reboot DR>> before taking your next backup.

MG> Errm, I think you meant "upgrade and reboot AFTER taking your next MG> backup".

Yes, I thougt the same. But much better is to do both, backup before AND after an upgrade, ofcourse on different media ;-). Then you have more security and possible strategies to choose from when differences occur.

MG> If this is a full backup, done with something like rsync, it pretty much MG> guarantees that none of your stuff will be lost if the upgrade breaks MG> something vital *and* that restoring the backup will leave you with a MG> runnable system.

You can also use the SDCard copier from Rasbian Jessie and Stretch to make 100 % exact copies of a good working SDCard of the same size, with the help of a USB (micro) SDcard reader/writer.

Once a year I download a complete new version of Raspbian and use a self made textfile: Personalize.txt to implement many settings and software downloads to my wish, and not to forget one etc. Ofcourse I immediate change that text file if there are new settings or software installed for the next new SDcard. I think this a more safe strategy then continuesly updating and upgrading. Upgrading from Raspbian Wheezy to Jessy did not give the same result als DownLoading a new Jessie from the original distributor. So for bigger upgrades choose to use a complete new version, especially when also upgrading hardware, i.e. from Pi 2B to 3B, or from Pi 3B to 3B+ etc. The old version often does not work on a newer machine, but the other way round, the newer often also works on the older models. That way installing new versions after march 14 each year is the most wise strategy there is. Or if you are always running the same software on the same hardware year after year, and do not need new features, you could stay on that same version without updating. I.e. for a dedicated continues task for instance. But after some time security of card wear could be a beginning problem. That's where you have BackUps for ;-). Webbrowsers are one of the fast changing software packages I presume. Good Luck in rebooting.

Henri.

Reply to
Henri Derksen

The needrestart package is a great help for restarting services and warning about user programs after the update of libraries. (It also recommends to reboot after kernel updates.)

gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 Click to see the full signature

Excellent description, but one minor nit - the running kernel is not demand paged from the kernel image on disk and doesn't hold the disk kernel image file open, so deleting that happens instantly. The system only uses the kernel image file during booting when it copies it into memory.

For programs and libraries, sections of these are paged in when they are first used (demand paged), and the program keeps the disk file open (or rather "mapped") while it is running so further sections can be paged in if needed later. It may be that some sections of a program might never be used and thus never paged in (things like debug symbols are typical of this, if you are not using a debugger), but possibly also sections containing functions which were never called.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel