pi no longer the default user, headless install now possible Raspberry Pi Imager tool

Hello Jan!

Friday April 08 2022 10:10, you wrote to All:

Would be even more useful if the install also set up a swap partition.

Even more important for the 1Gb ram systems.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

dr> dphys-swapfile is used instead of a swap partition. The default is only dr> 100M but can be increased by editting /etc/dphys-swapfile

Sorry, sir, but that's not correct, at least on *my* Pi. 'free -m' shows exactly zero swap space, and I have not changed the defaults for swap.

McDoob SysOp, PiBBS pibbs.sytes.net

... Everyone smiles in the same language.

Reply to
Shaun Buzza

pi no longer the default user, headless install now possible with Raspberry Pi Imager tool

Jan Panteltje

What does the headless installation do differently from normal? When I did a normal installation and then tweaked it to be headless, the main changes were:

- install/configure RealVNC and/or SSH to allow remote access

- set default resolution (in Start | Preferences | Raspberry Pi Configuration, set Resolution=CEA Mode 31 1920x1080x50, Underscan=Disabled Interfaces tab: SSH and VNC=Enabled [Pi3] or in /boot/config.txt, add hdmi_force_hotplug=1 # allow Pi to boot with no monitor connected, hdmi_group=2, hdmi_mode=82 # force 1920x1080x60 even though monitor can't be auto-detected [Pi4])

The forced resolution is only necessary if you intend to access by Real VNC as opposed to by PuTTY and SSH).

Reply to
NY

dphys-swapfile is used instead of a swap partition. The default is only

100M but can be increased by editting /etc/dphys-swapfile

---druck

Reply to
druck

It's not about the Pi but about the OS. Is it "Raspberry Pi OS" from raspberrypi.com? I have a newish Bullseye install here (on a Pi 4, with desktop, 64-bit) and it reports 100 MB swap space. Well, 99 actually, because it's 104853504 bytes which is not quite 104857600.

Reply to
A. Dumas

That it is recent is irrelevant, by the way. Ever since the beginning when it was called Raspbian, it has always had a 100 MB swap file. See, e.g.:

A. Dumas

Le 8/04/22 à 12:10, Jan Panteltje a écrit :

It's time, on every Raspberry I installed, I reduce pi to minimal. No default login, no remote access a password no sudo. for every users (well 2 or 3) I suppressed sudo. But for many things like raspi-config, install a printer etc user pi supposed. BTW I have 1 GB swap on my system. 100 mb is too small I had once impossible to compile (php) due to lak of memory.

Reply to
zeneca