Permanently mounting a USB HD problem

I have a 160Gb spinning disk in a USB enclosure attached to my pi4.
I can mount it temporarly by: sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1

When I run blkid to get the UUID, I get:
/dev/sda1: LABEL="sda1" UUID="**********" TYPE="ntfs" PTTYPE="dos"
PARTUUID="**********"

What exactly do I enter in the /ect/fstab file. I've just tried the UUID
with the = and quotes etc, but I am getting parse errors when running
sudo mount -a.

Thanks

Re: Permanently mounting a USB HD problem

Are you sure its a vfat disk?
blkid seems to be telling you that is ntfs

More to the point, what format do you *want* it to be and how are you
intending to use it?

IOW, do you want to use it to transfer data from Windows to the Pi or
vice versa, or are you going to reformat it as ext4 and use it as the Pis
main storage?

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Permanently mounting a USB HD problem

Copying from one of my fstab files the format should be:

PARTUUID=xxxxxxx  /mountpoint   filesystemtype  auto,nofail,defaults

no quotes, no spaces between the options, the nofail prevents boot
hanging if the external drive isn't plugged in. This should solve the
parse errors. You will still need to determine the actual
filesytemtype to mount. That should however be a different error.

MArtin

Re: Permanently mounting a USB HD problem
Thanks, that did it.
I was using the UUID as well as the PARTUUID , along with quotes. Doh!

Re: Permanently mounting a USB HD problem

I think I use UUID, without quotes, successfully, it's not mounted at
the moment so I didn't post.

As a matter of interest, I found ntfs performance slow, and switched to
ext4. I think it was slow writing.

Re: Permanently mounting a USB HD problem

UUID=2be84ecd-556e-488c-a832-67c49114a06c / ext4 discard,nodira
time,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1

Is a typical line from an fstab.