OS used

Re: OS used By: Dale Barnes to ALL on Wed Jan 19 2022 12:59 pm

Howdy!

I may be a little crazy, but I've got Gentoo going on a 400 as a bit of a test. (Have Raspberry Pi OS on another card as well)

Reply to
Adam Clark

Re: Re: OS used By: Grant Taylor to Adam Clark on Thu Jan 20 2022 08:42 pm

Yeah, it's nice to see it work. I have been using distcc to utilize a more powerful machine, too. Seems to help to a degree.

I got as far as getting a window manager up, but I have to do something better for a screen, as the 7" touch screen I use with it is less than ideal.

Reply to
Adam Clark

Hello Dale!

Wednesday January 19 2022 12:59, you wrote to ALL:

Here on a 3B+ just upgraded to Bullseye (Debian ?) from Buster (raspian or similar) but not sure it is for the better :)

I do not this kit often far too slow for me even with a USB connected HDD.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Coen

I successfully did an emerge world empty tree deep on a Pi 3. It took a while, but it worked just fine.

I did have a chunk of steal sitting on the CPU as a large heat sink.

It took multiple days to complete but it did so without any problem.

Reply to
Grant Taylor

PiOS Bullseye 64-bit, sometimes 32-bit because it has free Mathematica, sometimes Manjaro because I want to know more about it (and as a rolling distro it has all the latest & greatest).

Reply to
A. Dumas

Personally just Linux. Specifically I prefer Tiny Core Linux (PiCore) but often use RPi OS when I just want things to work.

Reply to
Computer Nerd Kev

On a sunny day (Wed, 19 Jan 2022 12:59:38 +1200) it happened snipped-for-privacy@f201.n.z1.fidonet.org (Dale Barnes) wrote in snipped-for-privacy@f201.n.z1.fidonet.org>:

As time goes by

Raspi 1 I think?

192.168.178.73 server for serveral things, RTL-SDR sticks dump1090 (receives airplane data), and weather station from garden, ssh only, radiation monitor via /dev/ttyS0, GPS via /dev/ttyAMA0, etc etc is a Raspi 1 I think? Linux 3.6.11+ #371 PREEMPT Thu Feb 7 16:31:35 GMT 2013 armv6l

192.168.178.1

4G router (USB stick) firewall, SMS, ssh only, also a Raspi 1 ? Linux 3.12.35+ #730 PREEMPT Fri Dec 19 18:31:24 GMT 2014 armv6l

192.168.178.95 security recorder video + audio, chromium browser, 3 TB USB harddisk, 4 GB RAM, HDMI Linux 4.19.75-v7l+ #1270 SMP Tue Sep 24 18:51:41 BST 2019 armv7l

192.168.178.99 mostly backup, 4 TB USB harddisk, 8 GB RAM, HDMI + ssh Linux 5.4.79-v7l+ #1373 SMP Mon Nov 23 13:27:40 GMT 2020 armv7l

All OSs have been modified by me, All run fvwm with 9 virtual desktops all running a color rxvt terminal, also xfm filemanager (icons to click).

Some have uptimes 77 days and more (all are on UPS except ..1, but can also be, but that one is only on when I am home using internet.

No problems, no crashes

Largest uptime was 250 days or so for 192.168.178.73, then I had to switch it off when moving house

I do not normally 'update' things that work.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ooops, I forgot one, 192.168.178.71, as it is off ATM the one in my clock, also old raspi (ssh only),

How those things evolve:

Jan Panteltje

Ubuntu 64, Ubuntu 32, Raspbian

Reply to
Pancho

RISC OS.

David

Reply to
David Higton

Devuan Chimaera here on a Pi4 - upgraded from Beowulf

Reply to
Folderol

- and RISCOS here also, but I infinitely prefer the version for the BeagleBoard

Reply to
Mark J

It helps if you can offload compiling to a more-powerful box. Gentoo makes setting up cross-compiling toolchains easy, so you can qemu-chroot from an amd64 host into an aarch64 guest (for instance) to build for a Raspberry Pi

3 or 4. Use the fast system to create binary packages which are then installed on the RPi. Depending on what you're building, it might still take a day or two to do a full rebuild, but that's better than the week or more it'll take on the RPi (and there are packages like Chromium that won't build on the Pi or will shred your swap trying due to insufficient RAM).

(I also do something similar, but without the cross-compiling bit, to keep the Rock Pi X plugged into my TV up-to-date. The Ryzen 5 2600 in my server blows the doors off the Atom x5-Z8350 in the Rock Pi X.)

Reply to
scott

I'd like to clarify I did the compiling on the Pi 3.

Yes, I am aware of DistCC and the likes. But the point of my comment was that the Pi 3 is capable of doing it's own full emerge world empty tree.

Reply to
Grant Taylor

Raspian RISCOS Puppy Linux x3

Reply to
Derek.Moody

Support them for what? If you don't mind saying.

Most of mine are still running vanilla 32 bit Raspbian Buster, but a couple of the Pi 4B's are running the 64 bit kernel with the 32 bit Raspbian user land, and a raspbian-nspawn-64 container.

I did run 64 bit SUSE at one point, for 64 bit evaluation, before raspbian-nspawn-64 came out. A couple or older ones ran Libre Electric and Kodi, before I upgraded them, and standard Raspbian was able to play media as well.

I haven't upgraded to Bullseye yet as I've got quite a few cameras using raspimjpeg which requires the old camera system rather than libcamera. Although it is possible reinstall the old system, which I'll have to try out on a spare Pi.

Ironically I want to get a Sony starviz camera, and that's only supported by libcamera, so I need to find an alternative to raspimjpeg, as it doesn't look like it will be a quick job to upgrade that to use libcamera.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Why so? They all provide identical features and facilities (for any given version), don't they?

I used to use a BBxM until it suddenly died. I looked at replacing it, but then realised that a Pi would be not only cheaper but quicker too.

I still have a BB running RISC OS as my doorbell server.

David

Reply to
David Higton

I run Raspbian 10 on a 3B+ and Ubuntu 21.04 LTS on a CM3+. I wanted to run Debian on the CM3+ but it didn't boot, maybe due to the Waveshare carrier board I'm using.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

Curious about the doorbell - isn't it annoying in the case of non-visitors (posties etc.)?

Reply to
RJH

Yes, mine is an -xM also. It is getting on a bit I agree, and I don't know where I will go when it eventually dies. Why do I prefer the RISCOS variant on a BB? A puzzling question ... Back in the 80's, as with many Acorn users, I went through many new computer upstarts before settling on a BBC A. That, perhaps, is why, in my early days in Self-Employment, I went through several cars before, eventually, settling for Land-Rover. Both Acorn and Land-Rover did a job that I required, and both I could understand, modify, and repair; and both I stuck with as they were upgraded. RISCOS in a Kinetic, and a LR in the last Series III was my sticking-point, the pinnacle of my satisfaction. The Kinetic died in a horrendous lightning strike which the LR ignored because it has minimal electronics, so the Kinetic was ultimately replaced by RISCOS on the Beagle, and it seems to fulfil my needs just as RISCOS always did.

I'm sure that I didn't give RISCOS on a RPi much of a chance, but I felt locked out, just as I felt locked out of the computer variants played with in the 80's, and it seemed 'prettyfied'. Reliability and backward compatibility is important to me. Speed is not ... Purely personal observations ...

Reply to
Mark J