Network conundrum

As I've already said earlier in the thread, this is what I did after I learnt the term from Rob Morley. Often Googling doesn't help if you don't know the right word; I would have called it a "spur" by analogy with adding an extra mains socket :-)

In Windows 8 all I did was to go to the Network and Sharing Centre, choose "Change Adapter Settings", select the 2 ports (referred to there as "Ethernet" and "Ethernet 2") by Ctrl-clicking on them and then Advanced > Bridge Connections. And, er, that was it.

It took effect immediately - no need to reboot or touch the RPi at all. Both machines have been rebooted since and it still works perfectly - absolutely delighted.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Normally, to make this working you would go out and buy a "switch", the equivalent of a power strip for networking. You put it upstairs, connect it to the cable running downstairs and then you can connect multiple network devices including your PC and Pi.

The switch does the same thing as a bridge, but with multiple ports. It is invisible to network protocols, IP addressing, etc.

Reply to
Rob

i.e. how to make the most expensive ethernet switch of all time :-)

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

technically a switch is a bridge that spans nothing.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it was just for me, I'd behave like the pack rat I am and just leave everything in a pile on the desk and floor and.... (makes changing any connection at all a puzzle in the topology of knots!).

But in the small living room of a flat you're trying to rent to people who are quite possibly tidy individuals, strips on the wall wouldn't look too good. An excellent suggestion for me, far better than my usual casual approach, but not for the general public.

Actually, I think the real solution might be a common power supply with dozens of separately regulated outputs. Then there'd be only one mains cable, and tiny sockets, maybe colour-coded to show voltage, to connect the various dongles and what-have-you. Could be quite compact, but a problem to ensure you never feed 19 volts centre-positive DC into something that wants 6 volts AC.

I wonder if such a thing already exists.

--
Windmill, TiltNot@NoneHome.com       Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                            @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Windmill

Strictly speaking a switch isn't a bridge because it doesn't join two different networks as a bridge does, it only enables extra nodes to be added to a single network.

Reply to
Rob Morley

An ethernet bridge does exactly the same thing as a switch. It joins two network segments by transferring frames that are learned to be "on the other side" by looking at the MAC address.

Originally a bridge connected two coax segments each with several stations on them, now they usually join UTP segments with only a single node. However, in a network with 3 switches, the central switch joins two networks in the same way a bridge did.

Reply to
Rob

a bridge was also convetionally the term required to something which used a DIFFERENT transport layer below (e.g.) ethernet to 'link' two possibly geographically remote (ether) networks across e.g. a high speed serial line.

In this case its across the insides of a computer, in the case of a switch its across an internal buffer in the switch.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nah. Saved me 20 quid innit.

Much more importantly, it saved me another box and another wall wart.

I had an old router that could be configured as a switch. I gave it house room for 6 years - I threw it in the bin 3 weeks ago...

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

but cost you an ethernet card...

I DO sympathise tho. I have been trying to reduce 'box count' here as well.

hence the ADSL wireslss router switch..that also does VOIP..

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I got annoyed with having a wall wart for both a switch and wireless bridge box so drilled a hole in the wireless box to make a power output and daisy chain them off one wall wart Then I hot glued the cases together :)

Reply to
Guesser

I think that can be tidied still further. For starters, if the USB hub won't power the RPI, replace it with one that will: then you only need two mains sockets, so glue a two socket mains extension adapter (available from Wykes) to the Buffalo. Shorten the Buffalo mains cable and plug it into the adapter along along with the USB hub's wall wart. Now everything else can be powered from the hub. Cables too long, get shorter USB cables for the RPi, Buffalo and tuner. Cables as short as

150mm are easy enough to find.
--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

They do seem to breed, you have to take a look occasionally and cull those that aren't really required any more.

SPOF

Each one of those is seperate here, partly from the SPOF angle but also that the best physical place for say the ADSL modem may not be the best place for the router and/or switch and/or wireless AP and/or the VOIP box (that also has built in DECT).

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

got a 19" rack with the PABX above it and all the house wires coming in..

..biggest issue is that the walls are foil backed and wifi has a 3 meter range..must put in a wap or two. But every room has cat 5 in it.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In comp.sys.raspberry-pi message , Fri, 4 Oct 2013 16:38:39, Rob Morley posted:

Out local department store often disposes, at a reasonable price, of curtain material samples, made up as curtains which fit a "window" about

2' wide & 3' deep. One of those will hide many evils, and is easy enough to mount in an /ad hoc/ manner, and probably to unpick to 3'*3'.
--
 (c) John Stockton, nr London, UK.  For Mail, see Home Page.  Turnpike, WinXP.
 Web   - FAQ-type topics, acronyms, and links.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dr J R Stockton

Something to do with board and lumber, perhaps?

The advantage of using a piece of wood is that you can drive a few screws into it wherever you need, supplemented with washers, string, metal strap or rubber tube to hold things in place.

Reply to
Rob Morley