Is Kingston knowingly crappy?

I have 3x 64Gb micro SD XC cards labled Silver Crest (Lidl own brand). They have been in use 24/7 for about 5 years now running motion cctv software. They get over 2Gb of writes from the cameras every day and so far have been trouble free.

I also have 5x 32GB Sandisk micro SD cards also running 24/7 for over 3 years in other Pi cctv systems. Same software and similar write/read amounts. No problems so far.

--
nev
getting the wrong stick end since 1953

On a sunny day (07 Jan 2019 12:29:26 GMT) it happened A. Dumas wrote in :

I just type poweroff

and then it stays off.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

This is a very valid question. By all means use a USB HDD for main storage, but you still need an SD card for OS boot, even if you mount /tmp and maybe even /home/ onto the USB HDD instead of leaving it on the SD card.

My Pi suddenly decided that it didn't want to boot, after giving me several months of perfect service. I tried a few of the more obvious fixes that Google suggested for the error message I was getting, before deciding to start again.

And this time I kept detailed notes of all the customisations I made to packages that I installed. I was still able to read the data from the non-booting SD card to copy it back. And I made sure that at various points through the rebuilding, I shutdown and make an image of the card, so I could quickly restore the Pi to that state if I ever needed to in the future.

I use the Pi as 1) a PVR, recording (but not playing back) TV programmes, and 2) for logging the output of a weather station - both tasks that don't need a fast computer, but need it to be on 24/7. This means I can hibernate my fast Windows PC (which also stores all my recorded programmes) out of hours, which saves a bit on the electricity bill.

Reply to
NY

The only thing you _need_ on the SD card is a VFAT partition that can be mounted at /boot - with all the files in the partition obviously. (2Gb is well enough.)

At the very least put /var and /home on the SSD/HDD and make /tmp a tmpfs mount.

It all works well here.

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

Same here: "sudo stop", or just "stop" if logged on as root, stops mine every time and "sudo reboot" or "reboot" from root login forces a reboot.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Nowadays Pis can boot from usb device without an sd card present. You might need one for initial setup. See

Oh, it says there: only Pi3 or Pi2B v1.2.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Did you not read my comprehensive post on just that, earlier in this thread?

It shouldn't restart again after a halt, only a shutdown -r or reboot.

But there isn't an easy way to know when the Pi is completely ready to power down, apart from wait for a few seconds after the activity light has stopped blinking. But I've had a Pi take 20 minutes to shutdown due to mounted shared over a WiFi connection.

---druck

Reply to
druck

You don't need a SD card at all with the Raspberry Pi 2.1 or later, it will boot directly from USB.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Thumbs up, this can't be pointed out enough.

I've found Samsung SD cards start going read only when getting close to end of life, but seemingly no fsck errors. If you replace then immediately you are ok. If you reboot they'll go back to r/w, but they'll go r/o more often, and files will start getting corrupted. Eventually they wont come out of read only.

The only thing you can do with SD cards is keep them backed up constantly, and restore to a new card immediately there are any signs of trouble.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Since a year or so, the firmware flashes the power led 10 times upon finishing the shutdown process, then goes off, which is a guaranteed good time to pull the power plug.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Really? I've never noticed this happen, and I've looked at the various LEDs in case there was a signal that the Pi was ready to have the power removed.

I've just tried it. It's actually the green disc activity LED which flashes on my Pi 3B+, not the red power LED. I'd previously thought that this was real disc activity as the Pi shut down, rather than a rhythmic flashing as a "I have now finished shutting down" signal.

Reply to
NY

Oh, right. But yeah, it's the shutdown finished signal, not I/O activity.

Reply to
A. Dumas

You might think that, but:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Hi all,

I have to say "mea culpa" -- I just didn't wait long enough after "shutdown now". After that command the LED on Raspberry Zero WLAN flashes several seconds long, and then the RPi will be asleep. I just misinterpreted the flashing as the next attempt to boot up again.

B.t.w., I also tried to use "poweroff" command several times, but this termiantes all without prior cleanup properly and, finally I ended up with a non-working boot-partition which I had to reinstall. Well, the card survived, and this time it's one from Imation. Let's see how long this will work.

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Hello Markus!

Tuesday January 15 2019 10:58, you wrote to All:

You should not use poweroff to close down the correct method is to issue :

shutdown -h now

the 'now' is just that do it immediately but without it will do so after one minute.

shutdown -r now will reboot.

o/p from manual :

NAME shutdown - Halt, power-off or reboot the machine

SYNOPSIS shutdown [OPTIONS...] [TIME] [WALL...]

DESCRIPTION shutdown may be used to halt, power-off or reboot the machine.

The first argument may be a time string (which is usually "now"). Optionally, this may be followed by a wall message to be sent to all logged-in users before going down.

The time string may either be in the format "hh:mm" for hour/minutes specifying the time to execute the shutdown at, specified in 24h clock format. Alternatively it may be in the syntax "+m" referring to the specified number of minutes m from now. "now" is an alias for "+0", i.e. for triggering an immediate shutdown. If no time argument is specified, "+1" is implied.

Note that to specify a wall message you must specify a time argument, too.

If the time argument is used, 5 minutes before the system goes down the /run/nologin file is created to ensure that further logins shall not be allowed.

OPTIONS The following options are understood:

--help Print a short help text and exit.

-H, --halt Halt the machine.

-P, --poweroff Power-off the machine (the default).

-r, --reboot Reboot the machine.

-h Equivalent to --poweroff, unless --halt is specified.

-k Do not halt, power-off, reboot, just write wall message.

--no-wall Do not send wall message before halt, power-off, reboot.

-c Cancel a pending shutdown. This may be used cancel the effect of an invocation of shutdown with a time argument that is not "+0" or "now".

AND NEVER USE THE POWER BUTTON - short of it being on fire.

Usage of shutdown may require use of sudo / root access.

Vince

Reply to
Vince Coen

Markus Robert Kessler

type: man poweroff Must be some other problem with your system?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Or "sudo stop" from your user login.

or "sudo reboot" from your user login.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Name reboot, halt, poweroff - reboot or stop the system Synopsis reboot [OPTION]...

halt [OPTION]...

poweroff [OPTION]... Description These programs allow a system administrator to reboot, halt or poweroff the system.

When called with --force or when in runlevel 0 or 6, this tool invokes the reboot(2) system call itself and directly reboots the system.

*Otherwise this simply invokes the shutdown(8) tool with the appropriate arguments*.
--
There?s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Several years ago, whne midi sd cards were in vogue, I purchased several of these for my camera. I formatted each on my PC and tested each one in the camera. All worked fine, exept one. I tried this one with all the other carriers (midi to Sdcard adapter) and it didn't work. The OC could not read it. I called Kingston and we tried a few things and they finally sent me a new midi and a carrier fir it. That one behaved the same way - nada, but it would format with either PC or camera withiut error but neither could read it. We tried a few more stabs and finally they sent me another new replacement. This one worked fine any way I tried it.

Funny thing - they were eager to work with me, but when I volunteered to return the bad cards, they said no just toss them. If it had beenme, I would have wanted to see those cards for analysis to see what went wrong, or if they source from another manufacturer, who made thedefective cards?

Give them a callandsee if they will work with you.

BTW don't toss the defective things away until you know they are bad. In this case, since it appears to hve failed similarly, you don't know if it is bad or something else.

John Carter

Markus Robert Kessler wrote in news:q0skun$k5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Reply to
John Carter