Dreaming of the next Pi's features...

8 Core? A bump upwards for the RAM? SATA?
I'm thinking with a few more cores even at the same spec, and another
couple GBs of RAM, I could truly replace most of my desktop computer
needs with such a Pi. SATA for bonus points, but I can live with only
USB HDs. Right now if I launch Chromium, for example, open a bunch of
tabs, I quickly get into trouble with slowness, and crashing.
Maybe as a Pi Pro adjunct to the current Pi? Still cheap and as moddable
as can be, but maybe $20 more for the above?
Perhaps three lines of Pi computers: Current Zero for minimal computing
power needs, standard Pi (current Pi 3) that's great for almost any
project needing a wee bit more power, and a Pi Pro for the cheapest
possible fully useful desktop that still has all the rest of what makes
Pis so fun and useful.
Reply to
Jamie Kahn Genet
critto:
USB3 Gigabit Eth (but with USB3 an adapter would be enough) More RAM possibly Hardware decoding of HEVC Mechanically ready for a heatsink
o wait this is (almost) the Odroid C2 :)
Bye Jack
Reply to
jack4747
scritto:
scritto:
oh yes, and improve ARM code with some crypto engine.
Bye Jack
Reply to
jack4747
PoE
Reply to
Tony van der Hoff
PoE
Reply to
Tony van der Hoff
Yes, of course that too! Especially if there's no SATA.
Reply to
Jamie Kahn Genet
ha scritto:
ha scritto:
filters for that will take a lot of space on the board, I think it's better something like this:
2896
Bye Jack
Reply to
jack4747
scritto:
Why stop there? addon graphics processor. - ah we don't even have full a= ccess to the current one.
-- =
Bah, and indeed, Humbug
Reply to
Kerr Mudd-John
Not strictly next Pi but open source the various blobs so I, or somebody else, can port Minix. At the moment the Beaglebone is regarded as more open source :(
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
Reply to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot
at that price they are practically giving them away
--
Those who hate and fight must stop themselves -- otherwise it is not
stopped.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
alister
I'd pay $20US more for a secondary NIC and for both not to be connected to the USB BUS.
Reply to
sean
What do you need open-sourcing to port Minix?
The GPU is the main blob, but I doubt you're going to need Minix doing OpenGL...
Theo
Reply to
Theo Markettos
More memory would be really nice - preferably user expandable. No point in a 64 bit cpu with only 1gb.
Reply to
ray carter
$20 - hahaha

Part of what makes it useful is you don't particularly care if you blow it up, and if you screw up the configuration you can just write a fresh SD card - neither of those is compatible with a general purpose PC replacement. Also a more powerful board is going to need more than a standard 5V 2A PSU, and probably more than the current passive cooling.
Reply to
Rob Morley
Is raspbianOS 64 bit yet? Last I knew, it was 32bit to prevent duplicating efforts to support 32 & 64 bit builds.
Reply to
sean
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.
At least me and Rob understand. ;-)
Reply to
mm0fmf
It is 32 bit. There are a few 64 bit os's available, but aganin, what's the point?
Reply to
ray carter
The main bugbear seems to be the boot process from the SD card. Apparently the beaglebone can be booted using free software (Das U-Boot) whereas the Pi SD boot software is closed source. I haven't got a beaglebone so I can't really help there.
3D acceleration is not an issue because, as you say, Minix is purely educational and doesn't need it.
--
Change nospam to techie
Reply to