Do I just need to change dhcpcd.conf to get a static IP?

I cannot but agree. In the end I ended up with a S/H Cisco SOHO router - rebadged linksys I think - which was reliable but too much of a room heater and replaced it with a draytek, which has been 100% reliable, but

if you need the internet thats only a few months broadband bill. I've had D link, Netgear and TP-link routers too - all have been at one time or another replaced due to flakiness.Ive got a Netgear whose ADSL performance went suspect after a thunderstorm in use as a WAP. It still isn't 100% reliable.

The use of BIND on root hints seems fine to me. DNS was never a huge network or CPU load. And it allows you to fully control DNS.

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

+many for Draytek. I've also had a variety, of which Netgear (one of the many DG834s) was about the least bad, but the Draytek Vigor was easily way ahead of them all, only being abandoned when I went to FTTC. Many more facilities and somehow, a more professional configuration menu.
--
Joe
Reply to

These days my router is a refurbished office PC with a decent dual port NIC (as well as the onboard one) running FreeBSD. It's overkill (especially the 8Gb of RAM) but it handles PPPoE at gigabit speeds without breaking a sweat, is rock solid reliable and runs software I understand.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/