Conditional resolution change

I have two (apparently) identical 7in monitors. xrandr shows exactly the same range of resolution, yet one always opens at the second to highest mode, and the other at the lowest one.

As far as I can tell there are no internal switches or links in the monitors, and I can instruct the one that opens low rest to change to the higher one, where it behaves without issues.

What I would like to be able to do is somewhere early on check to see if the monitor reports the low res value as default, and if so switch to the higher one.

An added complication is that the entire setup will be used by non-techy people, who may want to run with a full size monitor instead, so I don't want to force the resolution, if that monitor has an even higher resolution as its default.

so basically

if (res < nnn) res = xxx;

Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

--
W J G
Reply to

There are a lot of possibilities now with conditions in config.txt. Use the edid value:

A. Dumas

Thanks for this. Exactly the sort of thing I need :)

--
W J G
Reply to