AI and decompilation?

I think that's pretty much my position. Once you realise you pretty much need it, you might as well use it where its simpler than complicated CSS or HTML constructions.

--
Climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.
Mark Twain

Den 2021-01-08 kl. 21:02, skrev Eli the Bearded:

And the compiler used is g++. So yes it is a kind of c++

And that is of course since you are not used o a (more) strongly typed language. But in the end - it is much better to fight the compiler than to work with the debugger. Strongly typed and successful compilation usually means correct execution. But with strongly typed I do not mean c++ and Java - they are strong typed. Strongly - that is Ada - is where you can have numeric ranges like

type latitude_type is new Float range -90.0 .. 90.0; type longitude_type is new Float range -180.0 .. 180.0; type country_type is (dk,uk,se,de,it,bu,sa,...);

and get compile time error for the following

function Where_Am_I(longitude : longitude_type; latitude : latitude_type) return Country_Type;

longitude : longitude_type := 42.0; latitude : latitude_type := 25.0; country : country_type;

in a not strongly types language

country := Where_Am_I(latitude, longitude);

would pass - even if arguments are reversed and, even worse - return sa (saudi arabia). which is just plain wrong compared to the declarations.

In a strongly types language - the compiler would say no - you pass in the wrong types compared to the definition.

a correct call country := Where_Am_I(longitude,latitude); will return bu (Bulgaria)

The compiler would save you from

  • disaster if this was a plane and the code was about the destination and length there and how much fuel to put in.
  • it protects you against badly written unit tests where swapping coordinates would yield the same country
  • it makes it NOT to go to production
  • It makes it unnecessary to spend hours or days in the debugger.

In short - a very strongly typed language is your best friend when programming anything having more than 1_000_000 locs.

without it - it becomes a nightmare to maintain.

Reply to
Björn Lundin

hver: is CSS onmouseover() is JavaScript.

I've seen hide/unhide done without JavaScript. Admittedly it looks clearer and easier in JavaSript.

I get the impression that there's a lot that can be done in pure CSS but ingenuity tends to be needed and it's sometimes far from obvious how things work (based on looking at some examples).

Fair enough, the original intent of JavaScript was simple additions rather than client side applications so it's nice to hear it being treated that way.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

One way is to turn all elements you want to control into checkboxes (or radio buttons, maybe even sub-items in a droplist) so the browser maintains their GUI state, then style them so they don't look like checkboxes, then use css to modify the styles depending on whether their states are checked or not.

Modifying the style might be used to hide/show elements, change their colour, make them enabled/disabled, reposition them, etc.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not if you have a sequence of popups, where the content of a subsquent one depends on the choice made in the previous one. And the choices in them, or even whether they are presented at all, depends on what you read out of your databases server-side.

--
Tim
Reply to

Just ignore any browser that isn't HTML5 compliant.

--
Tim
Reply to

well that's if you are running a web site to provide information, but in fact I've seen complex engineering calculators written in it.

It's an awful language, like PHP, but it is sadly ubiquitous.

The Natural Philosopher

I think you could, but the nesting of container elements that end up modifying the lower elements based on the combined pseudo selectors would multiply horribly ... perhaps if you were using sass to "compile" your css instead of writing it by hand?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd think sending the whole decision tree up front should work, it worked fine back when I was doing directory trees in early JavaScript on Netscape 2.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

CSS is strictly for design not content. If suppressing CSS (for whatever reason, sensible or not) loses content it's stricly wrong. Highlighting content and making it more visible is another thing, but checked vs. unchecked *must* be discernible to everybody under all circumstances.

I routinely suppress colours and backgrounds -- most sites become so much more easily legible and no longer hide the distinction between visited/unvisited links from me (not to mention links at all - most uses are not meant to be but are similar to games where you have click arbitrary items to find the hidden door) but in some very bad ones I lose important content that way.

This is neither taste nor choice, it's simply wrong.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

Er no. It will get out of hand when you have 30 in the first popup, 40 in the second, and 30 again in the third. When I did the front end to an assets database at my last job, that's how I started it. I could see it wasn't going to scale.

--
Tim
Reply to

That's around 36K elements, perhaps doable but definitely on the overlarge side (perhaps a well structured megabyte or so of data), another level would blow it totally.

Sure, but when the tree is small enough it's probably the way to go.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Yes, that is often the case. Ajax is also not a bad way to build things that are almost i-frames: small active regions within bigger static pages.

The Natural Philosopher

Actually it doesn't get out of hand, As I said in order to have a rapidly navigable store inventory I sent the whole bloody stock list down sorted by category as a giant series of hidden and used javascript to open up the parts of the tree the user wanted to view.

And to invoke a page load for an individual stock item.

The whole thing was only about 50kB. And worked perfectly reasonably over a 48k modem, too.

Loaded far faster than my banking software does these days.

--
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.
Reply to

In my case it *did* get out of hand. This was the inventory for a Europe-wide network. 30 Pops, a dozen bits of kit in each, many with a dozen interface boards, each with 8 or 16 ports. That gets you down to the individual port with its cable to another bit of kit (typically, Juniper router port to Alcatel optical port). Before I knew enough about javascript and PHP, I was downloading all 34000 options down as one block, something over half a meg of stuff, and links were slower 20 years ago. Using iFrames helped a lot.

Today I'd do it rather differently, but then the guy who was at that time just starting this project resigned with half a day's notice, so I got half an hour of his time to get up to speed. Not easy at first as at that point I'd heard of javascript but never used it, and never heard of PHP at all.

If you wonder wny that might be so, given I'd been writing software since

1965, I got switched to Operations in the early 90's and essentially stopped being involved in any software development.

That's because they use that Jquery bollox instead of insisting on strict HTML5 compliance.

--
Tim
Reply to

Well, it is described as a css hack ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Here's something for you, a C64 emulator that runs baremetal on Pi hardware (no Linux involved) so you can see exactly how it talks to the GPU

Reply to
Andy Burns