Zenith LCD, D60WLCD

OK I got close to 30 year experience, and I want to try something. I want to get into the light engine of this set.

I don't expect it to be easy and I might not succeed, but I might learn something.

I have read case histories of yellow splotches. Now another and I own one that has a blue splotch. This unit also says change lamp, which means it's the kind that might blow up. With a lamp replacement I am sure the splotch will still be there, but it raises an interesting point.

If any abberation can affect one color, like my blue splotch or the yellow spots, whatever, and the fact that both problems can happen, it is evidenced that contaminants in the airflow caused it.

This means there might be hope. Since these symptom are possible it is evident that it is a three panel light engine, just what do you think the incoming air hits first ? In an LCD projector, to affect color, like the blue, you need to affect it's plate, or the dichoric mirror associated with that color.

I would think that yellow spots would be on the plate and blue would be on the mirror.

Don't bother admonishing me, I have nothing to lose. If I get this SOB looking good I'll get a hepafilter and figure out how to fit it. The problem is always the blue plate or mirror, and I bet a million cyber dollars that it's the first thing to get hit by the incoming air.Look at how fast it happened too.

To know how to really fix one of these will be a valuable asset indeed. I also think it is our future, if we stay in this field.We are going to have to get by with absolutely nothing from the manufacturers. Survive or perish, that's why I want to take this thing apart.

Has anyone ever tried this ? I got nothing to lose here.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

I have done several of these over the past few weeks. Hitachi actually has a procedure posted on their website. They suggest blowing the dust out with clean, dry air and cleaning the lcds and filters with special lint-free swabs. I have not had the courage to try the swabs. I expect that would create more problems than it would solve. I remove disassemble the light engine only so far. remove the driver board, lamp housing and air duct ass'y on the bottom. Then you can blow clean, dry air right through past the areas where the dust accumulates. Unfortunately, the unit has to be almost completely reassembled before you will know if it worked or not. I believe success depends on being careful, thurough, having as clean an area to work in as possible and more than a little luck.

This has worked for me. I caution anyone who may attempt it that they consider the risks. Here in Canada, light engines cost me anywhere from $1200. to $1500. I shudder to think what's going to happen when these things are out of warranty.

Reply to
Bob Loblaw

Reply to
Mike Berger