Zenith 46" PVT4661DT has sound, no picture

Hi...

I have the chance to get the above mentioned TV from my girlfriend's dad for $150. It turns on and has sound but no picture. He doesn't remember exactly what was done, but it was repaired once.

He says the guns are fine, but apparently there's a problem with the main board that's causing this problem. He doesn't know specifically what though. He did mention that when it was repaired in the past, the tech that did the work stated that it would happen again in a year. Lo and behold it died again around a year later.

I question the tech's abilities as it seems the symptom, not the problem, was treated.

Has anyone had experience with this model or similar models exhibiting the same problem?

It was made around 1997.

Thanks,

~jp

Reply to
Jon Pickens

Not the technicians abilities, but the horrid quality of Zenith sets made during the end of Zenith as a real company during the bankruptcy sell out to LG electronics.

Need some basic troubleshooting information to give any further hints.

BTW $150 for a 9 year old non-working Zentih RPTV is $150 too much.

9-1974 large signal module is probably bad, do a web search for the price. Even if you find a good technician who can repair this to component level and still get the parts, the cost to repair typically runs around $400 for the major repairs on the set that are required.
Reply to
dkuhajda

I sure wouldn't pay for a dead nearly decade old RPTV. I've picked up half a dozen of them for free over the last few years, gotten most working by now but they're no picnic to work on. Look a bit harder, someone will give you one eventually, some will even pay to have a broken one hauled off.

Reply to
James Sweet