Whirlpool Dryer Timer

A guest rotated my wifes Whirlpool dryer timer knob forceably in the wrong direction. The timer unit now will not countdown from an inital setting towards zero (runs continually once started)--internal clock can be heard ticking but knob does not move. The unit is about two years old model #LSQ8243HQ0.

Is it time for a new timer assembly or can an internal repair be made?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Tut

Reply to
cnctut

K `Sleep

Sorry folks--model # LER7646EQ2

Reply to
cnctut

K'Sleep--

Thanks for your input--I had hoped for a loose gear that might need an allen wrench.;-)

Tut

Reply to
cnctut

I was unaware one could turn a dryer knob in the wrong direction. I believe it would be a mistake to blame your guest for this terrible misfortune. And, is it not your dryer too?

David, on the Illinois prairie.

Reply to
dharrisfc

David--

Can you provide any insight into how this problem might be fixed?

Thanks

Tut

Reply to
cnctut

Well, since it is already broken, you can drill out the rivets and take a look inside of it, to see if its repairable. You may just find a handful of springs and gears flying out at you though.

Reply to
K `Sleep

K'Sleep

Sounds good--thanks again!

Tut

Reply to
cnctut

The part number for the timer is 3976580. It retails for $70.00 or so. You can, of course, easily replace it yourself.

David, on the Illinois prairie.

Reply to
dharrisfc

Thanks David,

I ended up disassembling the timing unit, several small screws held it together. A brass cog had popped out of the motor drive--it was pressed back in place then super glued.

Everything now seems to be working normally--the wife said "thanks for fixing my dryer"--the guest, my daughter said, "sorry dad, I'll be sure to turn the knob clockwise next time." ;-))

Tut

Reply to
cnctut