Desperately Seeking Schematic: Labtec LCS-2412 speaker system

Greetings...

I have a Labtec powered speaker system model LCS-2412. This is a 2.1 system intended for computer use. It is quite old, purchased circa

1991.

Around '96 or so, I noticed that the treble control was only working on one channel. The unit was out of warranty by then, but since these speakers have just the right features for me, I decided to try to fix them myself rather than try to find a replacement for them.

But Labtec support refused to sell me a schematic, stating that it was "proprietary information" and per their policy they could not provide it.

Since then I've simply put up with the problem, but recently the front panel headphone jack was damaged, so I called Labtec to see if I could get a replacement part.

They informed me that Logitech had acquired Labtec a while ago, and when I then called Logitech, they informed me that the schematic was no longer available! (gee, when was it ever available?)

Is there any remote chance someone here might have this? I know it's a long shot, but I'm desperate!

Thanks...

Reply to
Mr. Land

Reverse engineering should be quite easy for such equipment.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

   Maarten Bakker.
Reply to
maarten

Link to picture...

I don't know about Labtec, but you could find some headphone connectors at Radio Shack You can check their site at:

Look under "Parts, Tools & Wire" category for "Connectors & Connectivity" and also "Component Parts". If you go to Radio Shack, make sure that you look for a chest-like drawers, as they put some component there in drawers, just ask the sales person if you can't find it. You will need soldering tools.

You can also check DigiKey, but they have a lot of connectors. They sell all sorts of parts. Look here under Audio-->Connectors:

Here is a direct link to the PDF pages that show the connectors:

Make sure that you order the right connector, i.e., Mono or Stereo. Check the dimensions too.

Digikey ships the same day, there is no minimum to order, but they add $5 if your total order is less than $25.

Here is another parts seller:

Good luck!

Reply to
Someone

I have the LCS2420, but mine has only the bass control. What usually happens is that someone smacks the knob and busts the pot. They're typically a dual planar pot that's gonna be hard to replace. The circuitry is usually so simple that you can download the chip datasheet and the sample application schematic will be real close. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
mike

Yep, I know I could use a "generic" stereo 3.5 mm jack w/ integral switches for the speakers...but the broken jack on this unit is fairly special: flat-shaped, mounts right against the board, has a weird little 2-pole, 2-position slide switch at the rear of it that's moved when you insert a plug...thought I'd try a very long shot to see if any had a set of these in a junk pile somewhere.

Thanks for all the great tips and pointers!

Reply to
Mr. Land

Mmmm...for you, perhaps! Me, I get lost as soon as I find 3+ components connected together! Thanks for the suggestion...

Reply to
Mr. Land

You know, it never occurred to me to simply check the pot. Thanks for the idea.

Reply to
Mr. Land

find the major IC on the PWB.

Look up the data sheet and application notes for that IC and your circuit will probably be very similar.

Mark

Reply to
Mark