Weird rotary encoder

Mode selector switch on a Boss DD6 effects delay peadal. Looks just like the other 3 green case subminiature pots each marked B50K , by Alpha. Nothing external to indicate the 7 posistion "switch" is different. Inside a second properly molded-in internal endstop as well as the normal one, so track is limited to 3/5 of normal full track. So if wiper breaks, due to grease, then pedal has a mind of its own which mode it wants to be in. When cleaned out measures 0, 3k, 8.1k, 13.4,19k,

25k,30.6K in the 7 positions and over full track 48.6K.

N_Cook

There is another "wiper" under the normal one that functions for dedenting into hollows in the diecast bush molding

Reply to
N_Cook

What exactly is the question you are asking?

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Nothing

is

which

Anyone else come across the like? Pot used as a mode switch yes, with vague areas around the knob designating the mode but not ever seen a dedented pot before. And how are they assembled at manufacture.? Externally there is absolutely no different appearance between the "switch" ones and the pots, I've looked under an inspection lamp, no odd dot in the molding or any other difference. If you turn the shaft then it clicks into the dedents, being the only difference, but that is not visual.

N_Cook

Detented pots are perfectly common in audio aplications, I can't believe that you havent come across one before.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

like

track

13.4,19k,

designating

assembled

that

Yes but not functioning as a switch, relying on high linearity and non-variation of resistance for firmware interpretation.

There is a difference to the pots, they are ink stamp marked 2G on the side, this "switch" one is marked 2H7

Laid out on a clothes peg and mm rule. Third part is the track section inverted to show the second green endstop. The fourth image unclear in pic, as buried in the body, holds the dedent wiper. One detent that shows is to the right of the purple > and the endstop arm marked A

N_Cook

;~)

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Batch code most likely. Taiwan Alpha stick to quite conventional markings for resistance and curve e.g. 10KA

That's a horrible picture. I can hardly make anything out.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I was wondering the same.

No ? Crikey ! I was using them nearly 30 yrs ago.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:06:48 +0100, "N_Cook" put finger to keyboard and composed:

The Alpha 16mm miniature carbon linear pot in Fig. A is supplied in three flavours -- no detent, centre detent, and 11 detents:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar