WD External hard disk failure...

"Jay" bravely wrote to "All" (13 Dec 05 13:09:31) --- on the heady topic of "WD External hard disk failure..."

Ja> From: "Jay" Ja> Xref: core-easynews comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:288636 Ja> sci.electronics.repair:351238

Ja> I have a Western Digital 160 GB External USB 2.0 HDD (Model # Ja> WD1600B008-RNN). It was working well and good and suddenly it stopped Ja> working when I wasnt around. My brother was using it and he says he Ja> may have changed the polarity for the DC input. I had a DC adapter Ja> which can accomodate multiple heads. I changed it to right polarity and Ja> switched it on.

[,,,]

When a reverse polarity is applied to some IC's, if they aren't destroyed outright then they might sometimes store a charge that impedes them from working again when the proper polarity is applied. Sometimes leaving it alone for a couple of days will naturally discharge the semiconductor layers so that it then can function again. This has happened to me a couple of times and luckily no damage done. It may seem like the device is dead but if there was no obvious smoke, give it a little time, sometimes it does clear up on its own.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Just a little force field zap.

Reply to
Asimov

That is just plain wrong. One approach is a diode across each of the two voltage rails to ground which will short the rail when the voltage is reversed. That should shut down the power supply and protect the device.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Ok, updates:

I opened the enclosure and checked inside. There was no blown out fuses or infact nothing remotely resembling a damaged part.

As Ive been thinking, the lights are lit when the power source is plugged, and the supply for the lights are after the voltage regulator. So i'm thinking something bad has happened to the drive it self. I didnt get a chance to test whether the supply goes to the motor or not, which i will do today.

Also I'll check whether the drive works when I connect it to a PC, else I guess I'm screwed big time :(((( Professional data recovery is $100 a gig :(((

Reply to
Jay

oh btw, the error in the device manager says Code 10- the device cannot be started. I run a Win Xp SP2 machine and I tried again by updating it with latest USB 2.0 drivers, no luck!!

Reply to
Jay

Jay wrote

There isnt usually anything visible when its a reversed supply that has killed a device. Not always tho, I have seen an optical drive produce smoke when some eejut rammed a conventional molex power connector on backwards with an internal drive.

Sure, but that doesnt mean that the electronics isnt dead. You can get a situation where the leds are fine since they dont care about a reversed voltage, but what is driving them has got fried.

Yeah, that's quite likely given that some of the external cases dont even attempt to regulate the main supply to the drive, so it gets 12V reversed if you have the head reversed on the external power pack.

It isnt hard to design the 5V regulator so that it doesnt die when its input 12V is reversed.

Yeah, could well be.

Yeah, but it isnt clear if that means the drive cant be started or the bridge is fried.

Yeah, I wouldnt have expected that to make any difference.

Not always,

Worth the hassle if the alternative is attempting it yourself because the in country recovery is too expensive to contemplate.

Reply to
Rod Speed

In article , Jay wrote: | Also I'll check whether the drive works when I connect it to a PC

Really, that's one of the first things you should try when an external USB or firewire drive fails.

| else I guess I'm screwed big time :(((( Professional data recovery | is $100 a gig :(((

It's not always that expensive, but it's always expensive. One of many reasons why backups are important.

(Other reasons? Sometimes, even the professionals can't get your data.)

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc@frenzy.com
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. --Niels Bohr

That seems rather low. I would expect it to be far more expensive, like 10-50 times more expensive.

Arno

Reply to
Arno Wagner

With respect, do you know what a surface mount fuse looks like?

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Yes I do. Matter of fact there was no surface mount fuse, but it had PPTC Resettable Fuse inside, thats why it didnt blew.

Reply to
Jay

Thanks for that cheerful start :)

Yeah may be, but that takes away the blown fuse part out. So may be the controller board got fried.

It had a voltage regulator, so I think it was safe that way.

Will go home and do the rest of testing today

Thanks everyone!!

Reply to
Jay

Yes Dave, I do. Also, I had PPTC resettable fuse in the circuitry, so I guess it will not blow.

Reply to
Jay

I got a multimeter from work today...checked all the voltages and currents, its all perfect, uptill the point where it goes to the HDD :(

Ill try mounting this drive thro IDE on a PC and let know how it goes...

This goes on and on for ever..I dont have a PC at home, so need to take it to work to check :(

Slowly my hopes of recovering the data by myself is fading away...

Reply to
Jay

Also, the design is very well put, it had a voltage regulator and I also tried reversing the polarity, the Voltage/current never got in to the circuitry at all. I think that the resettable fuse works like a charm!

Reply to
Jay

That doesnt explain why it doesnt work with the power the right way around now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Listen to the man who said

"Buy an identical working drive and swap the controller board to recover your data."

Chances are you will get lucky.

I know that there is one chip inside the drive chamber, a multiplexer for head selection and or amplifiers. It's fairly far from the impute power so it has a chance of survival.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Prescott

I see. Good luck with the drive.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Yes, I will know it tonight. Im plugging it in my friends computer :)

*crossing my fingers*
Reply to
Jay