Walkman Speakers

20yrs ago I got walkman speakers that didn't use batteries. THirty years ago I ran several 8ohm speakers off my pocket sized cassette recorder without additional power. Now I can't buy ready made walkman speakers without batteries. I'm prepared to make my own (housing will stink) but why?

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

You mean they don't have their own amplification.

I have several pairs of these I got during promotions at office-supply stores. They use highly-efficient drivers that can produce reasonable volume from the minuscule output of a pocket Walkman or Discman (20mW to 50mW).

Such speakers can't play very loud or produce a lot of bass. This is almost certainly the reason they're no longer made, and have been replaced by amplified systems for iPods. I have no idea where you would find the necessary drivers.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Some "powered (amplified) speakers" can also be used passively. But, sound level is markedly lower.

The market has shifted to "iPod speakers" which expect higher efficiency "earbud" reproducers *or* "amplified docks".

You can similarly complain that you can't buy blank Beta video tape or, better yet, blank *8 track* media!

Reply to
D Yuniskis
*+-Some "powered (amplified) speakers" can also be used passively. *+-But, sound level is markedly lower.

I thought of that, Phillips SBA 1602, No luck.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

I found them by searching !!