VCR problem

Hi As I am long retired from the TV repair business I am having trouble diagnosing the following problem on my Thomson VCR mod R7000. When a cassette in inserted and without any functions activated the unit turns itself off.I emphasise no play or FF/RWD/Search or any other command is entered,merely the inserting of the cassette trips it off after a few seconds.If no cassette is inserted the unit stays on. I have the service manual and will strip it down on Monday but would appreciate any tips re.this fault before I do. Needless to say since I sold up ten years ago all my fault database went with it and I really can't remember this fault.Thanks for any input.Harry

Reply to
Harry Collingwood

Harry: More than likely there is a problem with a jammed loading mechanism.... gear?, cam?, slipping belt?, foreign debri in the VCR such as: a paper tape label that has fallen off of a cassette and gotten inside the VCR? paper clip? pencil? pen? ... or could be a faulty mode switch?.... or even a bad cassette, try another. What you described in your post is predictable and expected:

The reasons this is so is if the record protect tab is broken out of the cassette shell (i.e.: a commercially recorded tape) the VCR will automatically TURN ON POWER and go into PLAY mode when the cassette is inserted without pushing any buttons. If the record protect tab is not broken out (i.e.: a blank tape) then when the cassette is inserted the VCR will automatically TURN ON POWER and load the tape around the heads and wait in STOP mode. Either way, if the loading mechanism is jammed or has some other related fault, the VCR will automatically turn itself off moments after the cassette is inserted and the loading mechanism fails to complete it's cycle. electricitym

- - - - -

Reply to
electricitym

[snip] Thanks for the info,it's been tried with a couple of cassettes,still the same.Funny thing is if I use the remote it trips off,sometimes if I use the main panel switches it stays on. An Infra Red sensor may be causing it but from memory it's not likely. As said I have the service manual so it means dragging the scope out of the loft ang getting to work.Never could stand these intermittent faults when in the business!Thanks again for the info,I'll check those out.Regards
Reply to
Harry Collingwood

Harry Collingwood: You don't need your scope or the service manual for this.... just yet. Open'er up and check the things I told you about in my previous reply posting. If the IR sensor was bad as you postulated then the tape would probably not be accepted and start going in when inserted... although you should probably check the emitter and sensors while you are in there if all else checks out. electricitym

- - - - - - -

Harry Coll> Thanks for the info,it's been tried with a couple of cassettes,still

Reply to
electricitym

Isn't there a familiar Thomson VCR problem like this that requires 5 or 6 electrolytics, including one bipolar, to be replaced? No, sorry...a diode kit of some sort?

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Thanks for that and the previous posters contribution. I am not aware of any mod kit being out of the business for a good while but going by previous repairs there were not many units that did not require a mod kit, even now, as with Sat receivers. I'll do a Google search and see what fires up.Thanks again.

Reply to
Harry Collingwood