Uniden Bearcat 100 Ch. Scanner Problem

Fairly old unit. Has 100 channels, search specific range, and weather channels.

I get NO signals when scanning weather channels. I do get "white noise" audio when I back the squelch off, but it doesn't seem to pick up any carriers anywhere.

Is this worth trying to fix? Or, if somebody would like to have it to tinker and fix for themselves, I have the charger, genuine simulated leather case :-), and a manual. You pay shipping and it's yours.

Reply to
me

Given that you have noise but no signal, it sounds as if the RF stage is blown.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I'd be interested in attempting a repair; which Bearcat model is it?

Please also e-mail me at: msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Are you listening at the right times and on the right frequencies? I guess that you must be listening for the polar orbiters on it on 137 megs ? At the moment, only NOAA's 15,17 and 18 are active ( 137.5, 137.62, 137.1 MHz ). NOAA 12 ( 137.5 MHz also ) has been off the air for several weeks because of transmission conflict. If you are using just the Bearcat's own antenna, the longest pass that you are going to hear is only about 15 minutes, and there will only be two that long per satellite, each day - one northbound, and one south - so you need to be listening at the right times. There is plenty of free predictor software out there. Go to David Taylor's site and pick up a copy of WxTrack. You could also Google "Wxtoimg". This is a free satellite decoder software that uses the PC soundcard. It is capable of updating its Kepler list from the American Celestrak site, and then if you just leave it running, it will tell you at the bottom of the screen which satellite it is next expecting to 'hear' from, and at what time.

One final point. I don't know if you have ever actually received and decoded any pictures from these sats using this receiver, but if not, when you do, you might find the results a little disappointing. The reason for this is that the bandwidth of the IF filters in a scanner are too narrow on the standard "narrow" setting, and too wide on the broadcast "wide" setting intended for commercial FM radio reception. If you are intending having a go at this seriously, you could do a lot worse than look for a second hand RX2 receiver, or even treat yourself to a new one - they're not expensive.

For much more help and info, go to

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Weather channels meant to me (if the op is in the us) 162.400 - .550.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Right!

LoneWolf

Reply to
me

Thanks to all for your replies.

Michael: check your E-mail.

LoneWolf

Reply to
me

Also sent by E-mail: Model # BC100XLT.

Reply to
me

Thanks again! I replied to your email on Sunday morning; please let me know here in the N.G. if you didn't get it.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg