Ultrasonic Cleaner Very Weak Cavitation - What causes this

I have a 2 qt Sonix IV Ultrasonic Cleaner that has a very weak cavitation. I tried the aluminum foil test and it only produced one perforation in a 10 minute span. I also observed that it only raised the water temp about 8 degrees with the heater off.

What's the most likely scenario? I would assume the semiconducters are OK since it does produce some cavitation? Do transducers gradually weaken over time? Could a leaky cap. distrub the oscillation reducing the units performance?

If it was DOA the diagnosis would be easier but what causes these units to weaken?

Thanks

Reply to
bud

That doesn't spell "very weak" to me, but maybe I'm just clueless. The innards of these cleaners have two features that can result in lower output: (1) mechanical coupling of ceramic ultrasound transducer to the tank is through a high-tech glue blob, so if that glue cracks, the transducer vibrates 'free'. (2) Often the oscillator has a tuned circuit that acts to impedance- couple the transducer. Tuning can change over time.

I've used some hotmelt adhesives for ultrasound, but I presume the transducer coupling is epoxy-like, so it can't be easily fixed. Inspect and if it's bad, consider rebuilding options. If it's the transmatch network, I've seen adjustment options (use a PLASTIC driver to turn the ferrite screw); an AC current meter will indicate extra power drain if you are increasing the power transfer to the water that way.

Reply to
whit3rd

The transducers can also crack.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Thanks, I did another foil test last night and I do think this unit is probably working properly. I saw about 20-30 small perforations form over a 10 minute cleaning cycle. Maybe I missed them the first time because they are very tiny. Once I hold the foil to a bright light they become obvious.

The transducer ohms out as infinity and looks solidly attached to the tank and I see no cracks or other damage.

I'll take another look tonight but I don't recall seeing any tuning adjustment on the circuit board.

Reply to
bud

What was the thickness of Al foil, as measured on a micrometer ?

N Cook

on

It's freezer foil and it measures .0015"

Reply to
bud