TV discolored spot from being transported face down in car

I have a problem that I would appreciate any advice on. My girlfriend recently bought a television at Circuit City. I thought she was going to pick it up in a truck or something (it is 32" huge and heavy) but I ended up having to pick it up in my flat little Ford Taurus hatchback which barely had room for it, and only if it were placed face down.

Right away I asked the dude who was loading it in the car face down "won't that mess up the screen?" since I had known all my life that any time I stored or transported a TV on its side, face, or upside down it would ALWAYS screw the color up. He said no it would be fine as long as I didn't go over any bumps (whatever that meant).

Well he loaded it face down in the car, my girlfriend got it all hooked up and the whole upper left portion of the screen has a huge green blob on it. (just what I was afraid of when I asked the guy loading the TV if it was OK to load face down)

What I would like to know is, is there any way to fix this? Or does it need to be returned to Circuit City if the picture keeps looking screwed up like that. It is TOTALLY their fault anyway, they need to teach a little common sense to the loading people there. I actually thought that maybe there was a new technology on the newer TVs where they didnt discolor like that, I found it unlikely that a worker there could be so dumb...but I guess I was dumb to think that as well.

Any help at all would be appreciated, thanks. (I will check back here in the newsgroups in a few days)

Reply to
STcomp

I'd bet the mask in the tube got flexed (fatal!!!!) rather than a simple magnetization of the mask. A little known fact: If you roll a color TV on it's side, face up, or face down while it's operating, the earth's magnetic field will alter the color on the screen. This is a temporary effect that stops as soon as the set is put back in it's normal position. In a large TV, the steel mask is very heavy, and can be easily damaged.

Reply to
Bob
  1. Be careful of what advice the retail "dudes" tell you. They just want to send you on your way!
  2. If the set gets bumped hard on the face of the screen the shadow mask can distort which is "fatal".
  3. You probably didn't get too much force, more likely due to the size of your car, the tube was close to the speaker or woofers in the hatchback and a portion of the shadow mask or retaining band got magnetised. See if turning the set on and off (wait several minutes while off) starts to "purify" the color. The set should "hum" briefly when turned on from cold start, if the degausser is working properly.
  4. If the set w>I have a problem that I would appreciate any advice on. My girlfriend
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

If it is a SONY take it back to C/C and return it, then, if you want another, don't be so damn cheap to not have it delivered. You state in your post that you knew the risks!!<

Reply to
Art

There's nothing wring with transporting a TV on it's front. I prefer this way since sets tend to be front heavy and can fall forward. Also, having the heavy CRT sitting face down puts less stress on the cabinet and CRT mounting. Replacement CRTs are usually shipped face down. If it was dropped on its front the CRT could be damaged. It could also have been damaged long before it got to your car.

Either way, since it's a new TV, take it back and get a non-damaged one. Don't settle for warranty service if it's under the 30 day store warranty; just get a new set. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Thanks to everyone for the fast advice, by the way it is an RCA 32V420T

32" screen, and it was a perfectly functioning floor model for $30 off the new price. It was $239 and the new ones were $269 All they have left now is new ones. Maybe we'll get lucky if I do have to return it and they'll replace it with a new one? :)

I will have her try turning it off and on a lot to see if that helps over the next few days. -STcomp

Reply to
STcomp

If you transport a Sony face down, there is a good chance that you will snap the mask support wires in the CRT. If you look closely, you can see thin dark strips about a third of the way from the top and the bottom of the face of the CRT. NEVER transport a Sony Trinitron of any size face down.

Reply to
Bob

Thats good info to know..

I was pretty sure you could transport regular CRT tubes face down.. (I have done this).. Didn't think about trinitrons being any different.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Don't they come face down when Sony ships a replacement CRT?

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

FWIW, I've never heard such a warning before. And I've carried plenty of Sonys face down and never had a problem.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

I've seen loads of damaged Sony CRTs and none had broken support wires. The metal supports that anchor the aperture grill to the inside of the CRT can get bent if it's dropped. The aperture grill is made out of very heavy metal and won't bend like a regular shadow mask can. Unfortunately, the extra weight puts more stress on the supports. Andy Cuffe