Tube Audio Amp question

If you live in the Portland Oregon (US) area (I won't ship this thing) I have an 813 for sale, comes with a ceramic base/socket. Lit the filaments up for about 10 minutes that is all that it has ever done. Looks brand new, would probably act brand new as well.

$10.00 US

-Landon

Reply to
lj_robins

Not if you build it right. The fans are usually vented outside the building when used for AM broadcast transmitters. I know of several stations where the air cooled transmitter is close enough for the operator to see the meters while they are ion the air, yet you can't hear them in the control room.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

but not IN the studio. the newer solid state stuff is a lot quiter but still has fans running.

have you noticed that as power amps are now being made bigger and bigger that there are now speaker systems bening made that claim to handle the power? for example the peavey QW series.

Reply to
TimPerry

Sure, they are extremely inefficient. I used some very efficient music grade drivers and horns back in the '70s that could be heard clearly over five miles away, with a 65 watt amp. When I built a 70 watt transistor amp in the late '60s, the largest paper speaker I could find was 20 watts.

Have you ever seen the insides of one of the Harris digital AM broadcast transmitters? WQBQ, The last station I visited that had one in service had a pile of badly damaged output modules from lightning strikes. I dismantled and moved their original 5 KW Gates BC-5 transmitter to WLBE in leesburg, Florida.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

not yet. i was given a BE digital to install.

WQBQ, The last station I visited that had one

probably from the power lines, unless thier lightning prot was screwed.

I dismantled and moved their original 5 KW Gates BC-5

i need an audio section for a BC-5 - it shoots flames out center hole where the power resistors join.

Reply to
TimPerry

Probably started as EMP damage from repeated lightning strikes on the towers. It is in an part of Florida that can exceed 1000 strikes per hour, and lots of those are on towers. The building is old precast concrete and cement blocks. The newer transmitter was installed by the station's engineer. From the way things looked he spent all of an hour connecting the power, antenna and audio to it. He used a piece of 4" copper strap, but the joints were really crappy.

I can ask the next time I hear from their engineer, or you can call the station and see if they still have what you need. In fact, I think they just retired the other BC-5, and may have a complete transmitter for sale, as well. Believe it or not, but their engineer doesn't have an e-mail address. I have tried for years to get him to at least get a free account that he can check from the different stations. WLBE doesn't seem to have a website, either.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida