Tripp Lite PR60 power supply problem

Someone gave me one of these that he says smoked. I found a small burned diode, (looks like a 1N4000 series size) on the regulator board.This diode was soldered accross C1 with the cathode connected to the positive terminal of C1.This part looks like it must have been a production change as all other parts are labled on the board but this one the board is not labled for it and so it looks like it was a factory modification. Tripp Lite won't help me at all with this problem. So I was hoping that someone might have run into this before who might have any information on this and/or perhaps a schematic that they could share. Thanks for any help. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

.

WelI I haven't replaced it as of yet because I don't know if it was just a diode or a zener. And not knowing this and what else might be wrong I wouldn't want to compound the problem. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

If it's a zener it would be clamping voltage on a reg circuit. Not knowing what C1 is or does it's hard to say what its function is but I would take an educated guess and say it's not a zener. I suppose you'll need to figure out how C1 plays into the circuit. Personally I would ramp the source up using a variac and watch what kind of voltage developed where the cathode should be and take into consideration C1's rated voltage and maybe develop a schematic in my head.

Meat Plow

I saw a reference to the T-L PR-60 PSU schematic being available at this website (in 2005)

I don't see the schematic listed, but an email to someone at CB Tricks may be worthwhile.

Otherwise, a voltage regulator circuit isn't extremely complicated, and many examples can be found in the ARRL Handbooks (library) or various online plans.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Is there a crowbar scr in there? It could be a zener used as an overvoltage protector.

tm

Reply to
tm

any

I tried to register on their site but it was an excercise in frustration. How would I contact anyone there? Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

Reverse voltage protection for the cap?

Reply to