Toshiba CF3566A

Referenced set will not turn on. Unplugged set from AC, the plugged back in. After hearing what I assume to be a relay energizing, I then hear a faint ticking sound coming from one of the boards - Hard to locate specifically, however, my guess is that it's coming from the Power Board (PB1797). Can anyone suggest some straightforward diagnostics? I do not have schematics. Thanks in advance! Mark

Reply to
Mark

Not sure of location number, C840?, but look for a 22uf@50 volt on the primary of the PS. Usually the fix on that one.

Tech Data

Thanks much for your post. Any idea of a part number? And, it's been a LONG time since my Vocation Tech School days, is there a method to diagnose this cap? Any idea what the faint ticking noise is? Again - Thanks

Reply to
Mark

After reading your last question, I really recommend seeing if you can get it repaired reasonably. That's still a nice product and I think it's worth spending a little to have it repaired. Not sure where you are but, I do 35's for 150 including small parts like the one I mentioned. At least check around first.

Tech Data

Thanks - I am located in Spring Hill - A few miles south of Nashville. I agree with your reccomondation - the set, up until this event, is in great working order. The picture is bright and clear and great color. All functions are / were operative.

I found a post with someone experiencing the same symptoms as my set. The Toshiba tech CD advised to replace Q404 (2sc3892a) and C416

10uf@160v and C871 22uf@50v which I completed last night. The set no longer "ticks" but still will not power up. The other result of the component replacement is that the green "power on" LED on the front panel stays illuminated (very dimly) when the set is plugged in. The only other issue that I found was a poorly soldered three pin connector on the back of the PB1979 board- I failed to note component designation. It was obviusly repaired at the factory in that the plastic frame close to the board was melted a bit. The board was really trashed in the area so I bridged the connection to the PCB. Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply to
Mark

Would appreciate any suggestions and replies! mark

Reply to
Mark

Fixed - C871 the culprit & some bad connections

Reply to
Mark

Well, I knew it was a 22uf anyway. Good job!

Tech Data

Thanks again for your assistance. I just need to adjust the Horizontal Height. The picture is a bit "stretched" I'm assuming with the changeout of Q404 (2sc3892a) and possibly C416 (10uf@160V) that could be the culprit(s)

Reply to
Mark

Well, actually it's the vertical height and the parts you changed wouldn't have any effect on that. You need to find C301 near IC501 and C305 and C308 near IC301 and just change them. C301/305 are red or by now, brownish and either 1uf or 2.2uf or one of each. C308 is a 220uf. If you're careful doing this, you can put the back on this thing and leave it alone for quite awhile. If you can't find a C301 then, look for a C342 also near IC301. They changed the numbering and locations on some later models.

Tech Data

Reply to
Mark

Darned impressive your knowledge of this set and circuitry! I sincerely appreciate your help. With any luck, Radio Shack will have these caps (Randolph and Rice is closed today) so I can wrap this up. Again, Thanks! Will let you know results!

Reply to
Mark

I didn't get a chance to look at these components over the weekend. Can you please tell me the specifics of what I need as you outlined above> i.e. Voltage, Type, Etc. Thanks again!

Reply to
Mark

Just get a couple of 1uf and 2.2uf @50volt and a 220uf@35

Reply to