Toshiba 42H82: No picture, sound ok

I have a 6 year old Toshiba 42H82 RPTV. It served us well with good picture quality. However, two days ago, when we turned it on, we saw a very bright picture for a few seconds, some sound ("poof")" and then the screen went blank. We still have sound and the TV reacts to the remote (e.g. mute, different channels). I unplugged it over night hoping for a (software) reset but this wasn't it. I understand it's difficult to diagnose this with a simple email message but maybe sombody out there can give me a hint. For what it's worth, I do have access to a reasonably well equipped electronics shop and the 42H82 service manual can be obtained on ebay.

If I can't fix this myself, is it worth the >$100 to have a TV tech come and look at the set (and then pay for the actual repair) give that my TV is already 6 years old. By the way, what's the typical MTBF of these CRT RPTV's?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
daqiii