Tips Lubricating Camera Tripod Heads?

Recently got a used MX350 Tripod. After using it for a while noticed significant sticking in certain areas,(especially when Pan vertically).

Did a forum search but only got. "Results for tripod head lubrication in sci.electronics.repair Search all groups Results: about 0 for tripod head lubrication No results found"

Hope someone may have had a similar problem and solved it.

Am interested in any tips taking apart a camera tripod head and lubricating it.

Thanks

Ken

Reply to
KenO

significant sticking in certain areas,(especially when Pan vertically).

sci.electronics.repair Search all groups Results: about 0 for tripod head lubrication No results found"

I have no idea what a MX350 is, but try taking it apart and wiping the parts clean. I tend to avoid lubing up stuff like this unless it came that way. The junk and crud from rubbing parts is usually the problem.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

significant sticking in certain areas,(especially when Pan vertically).

sci.electronics.repair Search all groups Results: about 0 for tripod head lubrication No results found"

it.

Agreed. You don't want the head to be sliding around on a layer of grease. That will just make you clamp down harder on the locking screws and eventually bend or put a dent in the mechanism. Just tear it apart, remove the usual sand, clean well, polish, and put it back together. You want friction, not slippage.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

significant sticking in certain areas,(especially when Pan vertically).

sci.electronics.repair Search all groups Results: about 0 for tripod head lubrication No results found"

Would graphite powder help? You can get it from locksmiths.

--

Jeff
Reply to

Hi Everyone,

"try taking it apart and wiping the parts clean"

Before posting, searched for a manual or least a parts list for the tripod = head but found nothing.

I was able to find the parts list for the basic Manfrotto tripod head

0060525.pdf?1272346475

Am sure the MX350 has much fewer parts.=20

Since it is only the vertical pan portion that is sticking would only like = to take that portion apart and clean.

Did find general tripod cleaning info

How to Take Apart a Bogen 3047 Tripod Head

Unusual post "After you've figured out the simple disassembly process, good= luck trying to find the highly viscous and elastic lubricant they use...I'= ll give you ONE valuable hint. It's a field of interest that is highly depe= ndent on ambient temperatures...."

9-mk1-head-289825-2.html

Hope there are some general tips on taking apart tripod heads.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Ken

Reply to
KenO