Those tiny plastic wedge ZIF closures for fine pitch foil/ribbon cable.

Awkward small DVD player with short ribbon. Requiring holding case open vertically and trying to replace the wedge through the available access space. Drops into the works somewhere and will not come out with turning and shaking. In the process I assume its dropped on to the floor or something. Has to be considered lost or very time consuming dismantling of everything inside , in controlled conditions, and lost on floor anyway probably. So set about thinking of how to make a replacement. Came back to the player for a last attempt and the clip dropped onto the now under-placed sheet of newspaper. Anyway for next time , in earnest, any ideas on making a get-by replacement.? This one ribbon 13.5mm wide, wedge part of clip 13.3mm wide , wedge .3mm down to .2mm over about 1.5mm. Assuming near impossibility of making such a small plastic wedge with uniformity across width.

1/ rubber, conventional or silicone, strip somewhere between .3 to .5mm thick pushed into the slot with jewellers flat screwdriver. Then as cannot think of source of small square section plastic, a matchstick laid over the top and glued on the end cheeks? 2/ Its quite easy to make hotmelt string (when very hot melt) order of .2 to .5mm diameter of reasonable uniformity over 20mm runs, just not predeterminable , so select afterwards. Squashed into the slot but would it relieve over time and loose closure force. Then match stick over top 3/ any other ideas asuming any salvaged ones you have, will be wrong dimensions.?
Reply to
N_Cook

Reminder to myself for the next such awkward situation. Like when refixing circlips I tie a piece of thread around the clip and tie down the thread before squashing over the pin. Glue a piece of thread to the ZIF wedge clip

Reply to
N_Cook

and

something.

everything

set

cannot

the

it

Same with this one but my fingernails or finger muscles must be too strong. Begs the question - what is the correct method for removing these wedges ? In a controlled manner so only 2mm of movement either end, and no more, so the sub-mm pauls don't shear off in the process of overcoming the grab force.

Reply to
N_Cook

and

something.

everything

set

cannot

the

it

I forgot that I did try with the closer wedge in place, located on end cheeks, so perhaps nibs not broken. It was not possible to put the ribbon back in through the gap without pushing the closer in place before the ribbon had bottomed in the connector.

Reply to
N_Cook

A thought for re-assembly next time. A weak piece of rubber band from a party balloon about 5mm wide. That would go around the wedge clip and hold to the blue (usually) piece of celluloid stiffener positioned and held above the lands section of the ribbon. When the ribbon is in place in the socket then slide the closer down the 4 or 5 mm into the socket

Reply to
N_Cook