Thompson GE 46GW947 RP TV, no power, squeaks

According to the original owner, the tv turned off while she was watching it. Then when she plugged it in, it would make a 'click'. When I got it from her, I plugged it in and I found the noise wasn't a click, but a sort of chirp or squeek. It happens in about 1-2 second intervals and continues for a short time after the TV is unplugged. I'm not sure what it is, because I know of a number of components that can make this noise or cause another component to make it. I know the noise isn't coming from the speakers, which I did get to initialize, and there are no visible arcs inside the machine. I read somewhere else that it could be the High Voltage splitter. Any input would be grateful. Thanks.

Reply to
Andross

That noise is from the SMPS starting and shutting down, usually from over current. *ANY* short on the secondary side of the SMPS will cause this. Typical failures are secondary power supply diodes and caps, bad HOTs, bad Flys, shorted HV splitters, shorted vert amps, shorted audio amps. There are other causes, but these are the most common. Get a manual and localize the load.

John

Reply to
John-Del

Do you know where I might find a manual, I've looked all over the internet and can't even find pay manuals.

Reply to
Andross

Go here...

kip