Think twice before you buy Duracell batteries

I have never seen alkaline AAA batteries of any brand where some didn't leak. As far as AA ones go, Kirkland and the AA that Dollar General used to have manufactured in Indonesia seemed to leak the least.

Chuck

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 12:29:01 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

o start shit with them. And both candidates probably want to start shit in the South China Sea.

RANT WARNING RANT WARNING

We have enough "Rockets" to vaporize all of Asia and Europe several times o ver, and with capacity to spare. What we do not have are man-lifting rocket s in place. We absolutely have the capacity to make such rockets from the S aturn V up to de-mothballing a shuttle, and in surprisingly short order. My concern is related to not having the capacity to make it at all.

The LCD screen was invented in Pittsburgh, PA and refined in Switzerland. D espite that, we do not have the *CAPACITY* to make them in this country at all. Not the tooling, not the technology, not even the legacy knowledge. It is a subtle, but very important difference.

And, for the political record, it is the lack of understanding of this diff erence that is an indication of how big a problem systemic ignorance is in the good old USA.

We get exactly the government we deserve, as we vote them in time after tim e after time, and every part and piece of our government devolves back to t hose elected "representatives" as by deliberate choice or by neglect, they permit all those parts and pieces to continue.

The difference between *your* politicians and *my* politicians is that mine tell me the lies that I want to hear, yours tell you the lies you want to hear. That they are lying is neither in doubt or a subject of debate. But, to get direct, getting in bed with Putin is probably not a good idea. And ' starting shit' with him has the virtue of putting him in the same position as pretty much every other Russian/Soviet leader has been since the 1940s - on the top of a shaky edifice sustained only by the passivity of the popul ace. The greatest fear of any dictator/autocrat is the loss of that power. Putin is not stupid, and understands that he will get away with everything if not challenged. As long as there is a scintilla of actual risk to his po wer, he will back down.

Lastly, keep in mind that the Average American:

Does not have a college education. Does not have a passport. Speaks one language - badly. Has never traveled voluntarily more than 200 miles from his/her birthplace. Has never visited a foreign country, not even the Mexico or Canada. Cannot name the Speaker of the House, even today. Cannot name the three branches of government. Does not believe in Evolution (42% creationism, 32% evolution, 26% no opini on). Only 71.2% of eligible voters are registered. Only 57.5% of registered voters voted in 2012. Meaning that the average American eligible to vote does not vote (only 41.5 % net).

And you think that our present government is anything other than exactly wh at we deserve, doing exactly what we should expect it to do based on what w e tell it (and allow) it to do?

This has not one damned thing to do with party, democrat, republican, liber tarian, communist, green, whatever. It has to do with massive, systemic and deliberate neglect, and industrial-grade stupidity mixed equally with mil. Spec. ignorance.

Like some few of you here, I have lived in another culture vastly different from here - and I have seen how Americans are perceived in other parts of the world. You might be surprised how easily it is for other cultures to se parate Americans (whom they largely respect and admire) from American Cultu re (continuous amazement, mixed with a varying amounts of jealousy and horr or) and the American Government (poorly understood, largely disliked - much as here). Would that Americans had the same ability to separate the indivi dual and sub-group from the various other parts and pieces of the entirety in other cultures and regions.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Then why have they never defended this country ?

Reply to
jurb6006

mes over, and with capacity to spare."

Lemme see....

Please tell me how a nuclear holocaust defends anyone or anything? Please tell me exactly how a "rocket" defends any one or any thing? Do you understand the concept of MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction)?

Now, you first decry how we "have no rockets", and when it becomes clear th at we do, now you are shifting your premise.

One would think that you are at least logically challenged. I think it goes much deeper than that - that you are both ignorant and the victim of recei ved wisdom, having no ability to think for yourself. That is a sad conditio n as you have no ability to discern truth from fiction and threat from perc eption.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I don't know from where you derived all that but all I can say is to read the lines, not between the lines.

Pearl Harbor, the WTC, all they got are excuses and they don't hold much water.

They started this "read between the lines" shit when I was in school. My thought was - if that is what he meant why the f*ck didn't he just type it ?

But I'll admit you have better reasoning skills then I, you can reason bullshit that isn't there.

Reply to
jurb6006

Thank you for carefully avoiding taking responsibility for the question you asked, or for clarifying the basis on which it was asked.

Of course, by making several statements, I must also ask where "rockets" or the 1941 equivalent thereof, would have stopped the US from entering into WWII, or is that a conspiracy too? Keep in mind that the conspiracy theoris ts believe that Roosevelt know all about the attack and allowed it to happe n to get the US into to war... Is that your position as well?

Give you the credibility and sensibility of housefly, with apologies to the insect.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

ou asked, or for clarifying the basis on which it was asked.

or the 1941 equivalent thereof, would have stopped the US from entering int o WWII, or is that a conspiracy too? Keep in mind that the conspiracy theor ists believe that Roosevelt know all about the attack and allowed it to hap pen to get the US into to war... Is that your position as well?

I want to preface what I'm about to say in that I believe most conspiracy t heorists are effing insane..

However: I do believe that Roosevelt and the U.S. military knew an attack w as imminent. Roosevelt was elected on a non-intervention platform that was extremely popular at that time, particularly since WWI was still in recent memory. The anti-war movement in America was quite large and vocal. By t he time 1941 rolled around, it was clear that Nazi Germany would likely def eat England and we'd be fighting them eventually, and mostly by ourselves. The Lend-Lease act was helping England but without direct help from the U. S., it wouldn't be enough. The only way Nazi Germany could be defeated was with an expansion of the war (sounds silly, doesn't it?).

Roosevelt did not want to declare war on the Axis without direct provocatio n, and the "surprise" attack by Japan provided that. The sneak attack chan ged America's perception of the war overnight and recruitment offices were flooded the next day and continued on.

But I also want to be clear in that I believe that no one in the U.S. milit ary or Roosevelt himself could have possibly foreseen the devastation that that attack on Pearl delivered. The only thing "surprise" about the Dec 7t h attack was the brilliance planning and execution of it.

John Wolcott, CT

Reply to
ohger1s

While we lost a lot of good men, the ships that were sank and dammaged and the aircraft were a bunch of left over old junk. The main ships (aircraft carriers) were not there at the time. I believe that was a setup just to get Japan to attack ,but not suffer too much of a loss to the US.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Per snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

This is sort of tangential, but when I was stationed in Hawaii I worked the 4-to-midnight shift and used to hitchhike into Waikiki every morning during summer surf season.

Got a few very interesting rides - and one of them was an old guy who claimed to be operating the radar up by Wheeler AFB the day of the attack.

His story was something to the effect of "This radar stuff was new to everybody and we were considered to be sort of on the fringe..... but we saw the attack planes coming on the radar, tried to alert the higher ups, but did not get anywhere."

I cannot recall whether the higher-ups just didn't believe them or whether they attributed the sighting to some expected flight of aircraft approaching from the mainland.... but there's not doubt in my mind that the old guy was telling it like he experienced it.

--
Pete Cresswell
Reply to

[...]

Agreed on most of this. That Japan attacked Pearl may not have been have be en a complete surprise. I expect that the war department was more focused o n the Philippines than Pearl. I expect that some suspected a possible attac k on the West Coast, or Pearl, but neither so large nor with so much of the Japanese fleet.

At the same time, the Japanese high command recognized that if the US was a roused *and* at full strength from the very beginning, their chances were n il and the devastation to the home Island would have started much earlier. A knock-out blow was their only chance - and one that did not risk the flee t was equally at issue.

What is equally remarkable is how small a role Battleships actually played in the Pacific war. Carriers did the grunt work, submarines did fleet and c ommerce harassment ((The Japanese lost 1,178 Merchant Ships sunk for a tonn age total of 5,053,491 tons. The Naval losses were 214 ships and submarines totaling 577,626 tons. A staggering five million, six hundred thirty one t housand, one hundred seventeen tons, (5,631,117 tons), 1,392 ships. All to US submarines)) Not until late in the war were there enough large surface v essels to provide invasion/landing support, and by then the Japanese fleet was either destroyed or bottled up in the home islands.

Shadows of things to come. Th

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

The historical evidence tells me there was a fair bit of fuckwittery in the top brass.

American codebreakers were more or less keeping up with the Jap codes - so they should've known the shit was about to hit the fan.

All the airfield fighters were lined up in a neat row for fear of sabotage near the tree line.

They ignored warnings from British Intelligence about suspicious Jap troop movements.

The footsloggers working the radar set did their job and reported the incoming - they were told; "don't worry about it".

Some historians claim that all the ammo was locked away - the officer with the key couldn't be found and they had to smash the door in - getting strafed and frantically running around handing out ammo clips so a few people could shoot back.

How they weren't prepared for an air raid is one of the great mystries..................................

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

A flight of B17s was due, but I think the "incoming" reported by the radar operators was from the wrong direction.

The base was "on alert" - but didn't do much about it.............................

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

y theorists are effing insane.. "

Well, since I am a housefly to that guy there is no reason to tell him this .

The excuse they give is there was some sort of "shipment" coming in and the y thought that was it so they did not respond when they saw them on the RAD AR.

Of course some accounts say the RADAR was removed for some unexplained reas on but not being a true conspiracy theorist I am not so sure I believe that one. My Uncle was in the AF and worked on them and would tell you that the y are not easy to remove. So can common sense.

So now the story changed to they were expecting a shipment.

A shipment of what from a country the US was antagonizing with blockades an d whatever, starving their population, preventing food and medical supplies from getting in, just what the f*ck do you think they would be shipping to the US ?

And I'll have you know, I had a hard time even considering that FDR knew an d purposely allowed Pearl Harbor to happen until they changed their story. When they started that those planes were detected and expected they lost me . We were trying to kill Japan, NOTHING was expected from them, except an a ttack.

I bet Mr. Housefly thinks the Tuskeegee experiments never happened. The gov ernment has been honest and forthright with all their dealings of course. J ust ask Snowden or Assange.

I'll also have you know that I was a criminal when I was younger and I did not get caught because I am smart enough to know what evidence is and what is not. They had me in a room trying to get me to sign a paper. Let me tell all the sheeple out there, any time the government wants you to sign a pap er, that means they want something they don't have for example, authority.

And a housefly, if it could talk could tell more truth than the lamestream media.

Anyway, I never bought into this FDR knew shit until they changed their sto ry. now I consider it a possibility.

Do y'all know what considering it a possibility rather than putting forth a possible theory means ? Nobody knows science anymore ?

People who summarily dismiss any possibilities other than the "truth" Uncle Sam gives you are of no use to me, or society. They should be eliminated a long with the criminal government they support so dearly.

Reply to
jurb6006

Actually, I had to apologize to the insect variety to even suggest you had achieved that humble status.

And, as it happens, nothing you have written before or since suggests that the characterization is in any way inaccurate.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Flick me with your tail then sheep.

Reply to
jurb6006

I get very good service by sticking with major brands like Toceba, Dinacell, and Sorny, available at a discount at local flea markets.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Roger Blake

Sounds like the knock-off brands of TV Homer Simpson was shopping for, including Magnetbox and Panaphonics.

Reply to
ohger1s

I have the incurable habit of mangling company and product brand names. DuraSmell, NeverReady, SoniPanic, Pray-o-Vac, Power-on-sick, YuGuessAh, Farta, AlteredState, Exhide, etc[1].

[1] Translation: Duracell, Eveready, Panasonic, Ray-o-Vac, Power Sonic, Yuasa, Varta, All State, Exide.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to