Technics SA-310 Intermittent Weak Left Channel

Hi!

I bought a first-gen unit at a severe discount when the second generation ones came out. It doesn't really matter to me if I'm "one step behind".

Even as nice of a piece of equipment as it is, there's nothing about it that screams "killer app". I've only ever used it very occasionally to browse the web at home when a computer wasn't convenient or to play video. I don't care much that it will never see iOS 4.

I found a well received and free audio frequency generation app, but the iTMS is somehow dorked up at the moment and convinced that my credit card will be expiring soon (in 2013?). Not quite.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

You are correct that Panasonic added an SVI prefix to the STK modules' part numbers - I had forgotten that! The later models from approximately the 1990's used Panasonic (Matsushita) built outputs with original SVI numbering on the modules themselves.

The chips were very different and not at all interchangeable. Also, the SVI modules were very expensive, often leading to repair work being declined by the customer.

The STK's almost never had any external biasing - I might have seen that once in 35 years. Occasionally there could be an external resistor burned. Normally you just replace the module and fuse if necessary and enjoy!

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

I don't know why you would need to pre-heat a hybrid module. Must be a sales gimmick. If I still worked for a Matsu authorized repair center I'd be better able to answer. Having not been active in warranty repair for them in over 27 years I don't recall exactly the verifications after repair procedure we had to do. I would almost bet the farm that they won't need adjustment.

Meat Plow

I currently have a 30gb video Ipod. And an Ipod Shuffle. I'm pretty sure that 32 gigs will serve me fine. My video Ipod has some dark lines in the screen going from right to left. Not much of a deal unless you want to watch a video. Funny thing is the lines are in the back light. They don't show when looking at the display with the back light off. My music and video library is over 100 gb. I frequently change the music and videos. Currently have 10 gigs of music on the 30 and 10 gigs of video. Made a TV- out cable so I can watch video on TV. And the picture is pretty damn good. I've read some pros and cons for the 64 gb model. Don't care for some of the cons so I will probably buy a 32. One app I like is called Scanner911. It gets its audio from radioreference.com. People donate scanner streaming to the site. You can listen on the PC. Around here all of the departments except our local public safety switch to APCO-25/EDACS

800mhz trunked encrypted so I can no longer listen in on the sheriff/ state patrol. Someone in this area feeds Radioreference with a Uniden 996 scanner capable of receiving that traffic. I can pick it up on the PC or on my netbook also. Being a Ham for 20 years now it's always been a hobby of listening to police and fire along with SW.
Meat Plow

I have two on there. One is called "FreqGen" and the other is called "Oscillatr Free" actually spelt like that. Both are much the same in functionality, but I think that FreqGen is a bit nicer to use.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I still use my old Leader from the 80s. It's coupled to my freq counter if I need to be precise.

Meat Plow

For most bench work, I use a Ferrograph Pro Recorder Test Set that has a rather nice frequency and amplitude stabilised multi decade oscillator in it, but I also have an old and cherished Marconi Instruments "R-C Oscillator" which uses tubes as I recall, although it's been a long time since I've been inside it. Looks like it probably dates from the 60s.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Since I don't have my I Touch yet I recorded some test tones on my Sharp MD, transferred to PC and uploaded to my video IPod :) How's that for ingenuity?

Meat Plow

Nothing more or less than I would have expected from you, Meat ! It's lateral thinking like this that sets us old timers apart from today's 'black box' kids ... d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Hey Meat, just saw your response to the 'car windshield fitter story' whilst I was cruisin' on uk.rec.cars.maintenance. Which of the many cross-posted groups were you responding from ? Didn't see any in the list that looked like the sort of place I'd find you lurking ... !

Just as a matter of interest, I'm sure I remember having a windshield replaced in one of our cars a few years back, and the fitter actually had to take the vehicle away to a facility to do the job, as it was an aerodynamic screen glued in rather than being just 'traditionally' fitted in a rubber seal. I feel that I can recall the fitter saying that the replacement glue had to be 'baked' under IR lamps for something like 2 hours, and the vehicle could not, as a result of this, be moved for at least that amount of time.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I think that 24hoursupport.helpdesk was in the lineup.

Mine was just glued in with black Silicone rubber. Hardest part was scraping the old away. To remove, the molding came off in about a minute or so, a wire was passed through the old glue and glass to cut the seal. That took maybe 3 minutes. The glass was fitted with a couple suction cups and lifted off. It took maybe 10 minutes to scrape th remaining silicone away and the 5 to run a bead of new silicone plus some other rubber thing I guess was an additional gasket. Then the new glass was laid down, pressed in and molding reinstalled. I didn't put a stopwatch on the guy but I'm sure it wasn't more than 15 minutes from start to finish. And the new glass came from Pilkington over in your neck of the woods. I guess they make most of the glass for the US industry because my Chevy Trailblazer has Pilk glass in it.

Meat Plow