scandisk fail

Hi all, My daughters ~3yro computer wouldn't boot... no hard drive. I took her my lap top and brought it home.. cracking open I found no hard drive, but a scandisk thingie. I took it out of the connector, some of the gold plated contacts were corroded (or worn?) It's about a 1"x3" pcb, connector on one end and flat head screw into 1/2 plated hole on the other. The connector was 'sprung' such that the screw in the back was needed to hold it down. (Is that done on purpose?) And I assume the plating around the 1/2 hole at the end is for grounding. Anyway, on several of the gold plated contacts the gold was almost all gone, leaving corroded copper. I think all the 'corroded' pins were on the top. I cleaned it with IPA and put it back in.. same problem.

Ideas? Can I try a simple tinning of the contacts? or something else?

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

Oh I should add the contacts might not be the problem... in fact most likely something else.

Reply to
ggherold

Oops... Sandisk GH sorry

Reply to
ggherold

Make?

Model?

Symptoms???

John :-#(#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

HP Pavillion, you turn it on and..

Error, No hard drive (F03?)

(or something like that) I went to the some setup screen and asked it to reinstall the bios... which it said it did. but no better.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

[ with a Sandisk SSD, probably mSATA or m.2]

Sounds like a beverage spill?

If the socket is OK, or if there's another suitable socket, you can replace the SSD, and worry later about the data. To experiment at data recovery, it sometimes helps to get an adapter (to USB) or external case, like this

Reply to
whit3rd

I haven't had to deal with an SSD but I did have a similar failure on my da ughter's laptop.

You have two problems: the operating system isn't there so the computer wo n't run, and you can't get to the data on the SSD.

In my case putting the hard drive in an enclosure let me recover the data t o another PC. The sectors with the operating system were trashed but I got her data back. I bought a new hard drive, with some effort we got an oper ating system loaded, and I transferred her data back.

In your case buying a new SSD is easy. I doubt you will recover any data g iven your symptoms. So you still need to deal with the operating system re placement. With Win 10 I don't know how hard that is - with my old system I couldn't get a replacement OS from the manufacture because the retailer h ad loaded the systems. I had a friend with an XP image that worked, and ev entually I converted to Linux.

The lesson here is when you buy a laptop make a recovery disk, USB, or what ever it reads BEFORE you start using it. Eventually they all die.

Reply to
Tim R

Has the OP contacted HP? Their service should cover this kind of failure...

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

Probably limited to replacing the SSD module, when you are lucky filling it with a factory-standard Windows image. And returning it, mentioning "now please restore your backup". Often not really what customers are hoping for.

Reply to
Rob

Should, but it's 3 years old, out of warranty I'd think.

Reply to
Tim R