Stubborn 3mm screws

Graham-

That may be true, but they don't seem to be as common as you suggest. When I tried to find a driver for the PosiDrive screws Hewlett Packard used in my counter, there were none to be found. None of the sales people in any of the various tool or hardware stores knew what I was talking about.

I have recently obtained kits from two sources that include PosiDrive bits. But that is after several years of searching for them!

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

That is why I have a 100 piece security bit set.. which also includes the various styles of tips required for those mongrel screws.

The set might be cheap but they work!..

"

Reply to
Jamie

You're from the USA I take it ?

Astonishing. It's near impossible to buy proper Phillips screwdriver here but

1/4" drive sets often come with PZ1, PZ2 and maybe PZ3 bits and same with PH in front of the number.

PZ = Pozidriv(e) of course PH = Phillips.

And now there Supadriv(e) too which is AFAIK a compatible enhanced Pozidrive.

The largest advantage it [Pozidrive] offers is that, when used with the correct tooling in good condition, it does not cam out, allowing great torque to be applied.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I don't know where you buy your tools but it's not so. Most of the sheds stock Philips and any decent tool shop will have a large variety.

Even Screwfix:-

And certainly all the electronics suppliers like RS components.

Pozidriv, I've been told, can be far more difficult in the US.

--
*A \'jiffy\' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've been told incorrectly!.. those junk driving bits are all over here.. They make lots of screw fasteners with that kind of head in it.

"

Reply to
Jamie

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 05:20:15 -0500, Eeyore wrote (in article ):

Well, you learn something every day :-)

--
Nelson
Reply to

Well, the crazy thing is that it was a US 'invention' but Americans seem to be the least informed about it ! Draw your own conclusions. I suspect inertia has a lot to do with it. Along with inches feet, yards and miles. OK we still use miles in the UK. Ounces, pounds, tons (short presumably) as opposed to tonnes (which are nearly identical to a British - long - ton ), foot pounds, BTUs and all that cobblers.

See ....

Funnily enough Pozidriv was heavily promoted here in the UK when I was a young teeenager using 'kits' of popular sized screws and the correct screwdriver which had a blue handle in a plastic case with a transparent top. To this day Pozi screwdrivers still often have blue or blue elements in their handles to distinguish them.

I use Stanley screwdrivers almost exclusively for serious work. There's a particular series with a very comfortable asymmetric moulded handle that is normally red (including the Phillips versions) but the Pozi versions are all a slightly dark blue to aid immediate identification.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Pozidriv is HUGELY superior. That's why Phillips made it !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

IIRC it was a joint development between Phillips and the American Screw Company. But GKN in the UK had the rights to it for some of the world and promoted it rather more - perhaps because Phillips screws hadn't the same market penetration over here.

--
*If you lived in your car, you\'d be home by now *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Stanley these days are pretty mediocre. Plenty of much better makes. A set of screwdrivers from Lidl etc is likely to last longer for a fraction of the cost. But if you want good stuff, try Wera. But you'll need to go to a decent tool supplier for them.

--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn\'t have the decency to thank her

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ah, decent tool supplier. I went to my otherwise respected decades residency, local engineering tool supplier , a couple of years back. A middle aged bloke on the counter, not teenager. I asked what range of small size left hand drill bits they had - he thought I was taking the piss, like asking for long stands, golden rivets etc.

( used in drills with reverse action for drilling out and often releasing, in the process, seized screws , broken studes etc )

N_Cook

Now I think of it, you're right. Those kits were GKN. But Pozi screws are now somewhat more universal than Phillips for all the design reasons stated. I can hardly remember when I last had to use a Phillips driver.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Well... some of my Stanleys, in fact probably most of them are > 30 years old and in fine fettle.

You needed to buy the Chrome Molydenum ones.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Think you'll find lots aren't genuine pozidriv but a compromise that allows those screwdrivers to work.

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day\'s work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did say these days.

If they make good and poor quality tools under the same brand yet another reason to avoid.

For any cross head driver you really need a pretty hard surface as they are near impossible to 'sharpen'. Wera are diamond coated - which also helps them to grip.

--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I avoid that shit.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

They are toughened. You can see the surface treatment.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Not much option - they're very common on equipment.

--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn\'t have the decency to thank her

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought that HP used Torx head screws !! Though most European computers use Philips heads screws, not Posi !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Left hand drills were very commonly used in multi spindle drills ! All the spindles were driven by gears or a chain from a single motor. But you right they are quite hard to come by nowadays !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.