Strange !!! Playstation 2

I have a slim PS2 - SCPH 70006 (a modified one) I bought few months back and been using the "backup disc" for few months including dragon ball and winning eleven.

Alll of a sudden, it cannot read disc. I took to the repairman, and he said that the optical head aging and not have enough light. He replaced the head. It "worked" again.

BUT , I could not really play the Dragon Ball disc as before. In the last 20 tries, I can play 3-4 times only, other all "unable to read disc". For the other like Winning Eleven, it is noraml.

I am trying to fix it. BUT... few question I cannot answer.

If during the first failure, it is really due to the aging optical head, why it broke down so sudden. As the repairman said the light is not strong enough. I expect I should experience some problems before it became faulty. It was really a sudden thing when I became fautly, no previous malfunction at all.

The second thing is that why it can read the "backup" Dragon Ball from time to time initially. But now it basically cannot read it at all for the most recent last trials.

Any master can answer my questions ??!!

JBH-HK

Reply to
JBH

I may be wrong but with the original PS1 occasionally the Laser would go out of alignment. THis would create problems similar to those you are getting.

Reply to
christianredhat

You want to return it to the repair outfit and get him to fit a proper laser unit and not one of the cheapo ones you can get for $10. If he has fixed it and it still won't read, then it his fault. You shouldn't be poking about in it as the guy might refuse to do anything about it. The lasers are notorious for failing, some "techs" just up the voltage a little but this is a quick fix, it waers the laser out quicker so it only lasts a few months

Reply to
jackflash

Sounds a bit like your 'backups' have some sort of bit rot or damage. Get a new copy.

Reply to
Anonymous