Stereofying a Peavey XR684 mixer amp ?

So called stereo mixer amp , 2 outputs, 2x200W as main and monitor but no PAN pots. While in there for a lot of minor problems, any relatively simple way to stereofy. Break the main bus line in two and feed sepatately into the PAs and have a basic (1 to4 ch to left and 5 to 8 ch to right ,with one or more feed/s parallel split into 2 ,say to ch1 and vh5 etc ) stereo output and add a sw somewhere to select Mono or Stereo options ?

Reply to
N_Cook

You'd be better off just using a cheap external stereo mixer to mix your stereo sources, and plugging its outputs into the 2 x phono stereo input on channel 9, and keep your 8 mono channels instead of reducing them to 4. Or at least your customer would, as they wouldn't have to twiddle 2 different sets of EQ, Volume and FX send knobs every time they wanted to change anything.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

no

sw

on

The amp is in bits at the moment but according to the owner the 2x phono pairs allow using a standard stereo phono lead connection but the signals are summed and fed to the single bus to the single input of the PA amps, ie mono out .

Reply to
N_Cook

According to the manual

channels 7,8, and 9 are all stereo and ARE routed left and right, if left/right mode is selected.

The onboard effects are also stereo and go to left and right.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

The obvious way of telling if its stereo or actually summed mono is if the volume (and EQ) pots are single ganged or dual ganged.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

but

feed/s

your

input

signals

I'd only seen the repair manual and was going by what the owner told me

Reply to
N_Cook

ch5 and ch6 are down in level. Shared by SMD U500 dual op-amp and DC in that area ,different to the other channels , so changed it, and the same lack of throughput and same DC. Must be something else further upstream loading that area Will remove a 000 ohm to isolate to confirm first . I did not fully check ch7,8,9 initially as different structures but I think they were low as well , so something further upstream , requiring full dismantling as the boards overlap, c'est la vie

Reply to
N_Cook

looks as though I'm leading myself up the garden path. ch5 and 6 of this unsuffixed xr684 are not as in the F suffixed version schemas that is out there and must have more gain farther upstream , in comparison to ch1 to 4

Reply to
N_Cook