Speaker impedance qusetion

My shortwave radio receiver's speaker is dead (Hallicrafters Model S-38). I can't find an exact physical match to it in the original 16 ohm impedance but can match it with a 8 ohm one that has the same mounting pattern.

Can I just use the 8 ohm? or, if not, is there a way to adapt it to function without hurting the receiver or do I need to keep looking for a

16 ohm?

TIA MikeB

Reply to
bq340

It will be A-OK.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Thanks!

MikeB

Reply to
bq340

There is a good chance that it will be okay. This also depends on the output stage.

After installing the speaker, run the sound up at a higher than normal listening volume for about 20 to 30 minutes. Measure the temperature of the audio output IC or transistors to see if they are running too hot. Most output devices can run safely at up to about 60 C under continous use.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

Ummm I'm pretty sure the Halli S-38 is all toobs.

Reply to
Meat Plow

That is funny. It's output stage normally runs hot from it's 50 Volt filament.

Reply to
Don Bowey

I didn't realize that it was a tube radio! I have not seen one of those in tens of years!

If it is a tube output stage, then there is not much to worry about with some speaker impedance mismatch.

--

Jerry G. ======

That is funny. It's output stage normally runs hot from it's 50 Volt filament.

Reply to
Jerry G.

Nothing beats a reply that is posted by someone who has no clue what a Hallicrafters S-38 receiver is! (Hint: think tubes)

The 8 ohm speaker will work just fine.

Reply to
PeterD

If you are really worried you can had a 8 ohm power resistor in series with the 8 ohm speaker. Gene

Reply to
EpsilonRho