Mix and match speaker impedance

Hi All,

I have a Panasonic SAHT670 that has worked well for quite a few years and it kinda died. The details are in my other post here "Panasonic Home theater unit - mods?"

I am wondering if I just buy a new stereo amplifier and use the existing 5.1 speakers. I have

4 x 6-Ohm - 55-Watt for FR, FL, RR, RL 1 x 6-Ohm - 160-Watt Center 1 x 8-Ohm - 220-Watt Subwoofer.

So here's what I am thinking and ignoring any technical rights and wrongs of mixing speaker impedance. {grin} I am not an audiophile and never have the volume cranked up high.

The Stereo amp I am looking at has...

2 x 3-Ohm speaker outputs. 1 Subwoofer 1v-120K (I think it was) output.

What I would like to do is serial and parallel the 5 speakers. The FR, RR and the FL, RL are easy, but the Center has two tweeters so it is important for highs I am guessing, so I would like to incorporate that too.

I can get a 100-Watt plate amp and attach that to the back of the subwoofer box, so that's easy.

I do not want to buy a new home theater unit as when I installed this one I made cut-outs in the walls for the speakers and all the units I have recently looked at, the speakers are too big or the price is too big for the near enough sized speakers.

I looked at 5.1 amps and/or receivers and they are out of my price range right now.

So any suggestions here?

I am cross-posting to "sci.electronics.repair" (got yelled at here the last time I duplicated a post at "repair" and didn't cross-post instead) Hope I got it right this time.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Hook them up any old way. It's just audio. It doesn't matter.

John

Some people like the reproduced audio to sound like the original audio.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You could put on each of the 3 ohm channels 2x 6 ohm LSes, plus one of the tweetered 6 ohms via a capacitor. Put all 3 in parallel. It gives you 3 ohms at lf, 2-6ohms at hf, which is all good. Any modern IC output amp will protect itself if you max out the volume, and speaker impedances are only nominal, they vary quite a long way out in reality.

NT

Reply to
NT

Hi NT, thanks for that, but could I trouble you for an ASCII schematic? Or a pic of a sketch. I am not as smart as you think I am. What kind of cap, what value and voltage? If polarized, which way around?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
David41616

Leave out the center channel. I don't see how you would drive it in phase given only two amplifiers. In terms of the driving amplifier, the nominal impedance applies only to the piston band region of the woofer, and only part of that. (Voice coil inductance raises driver impedance.)

You can afford three channels but not four?

Too bad. What I have done on a tight budget is buy pro grade equipment second-hand.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

After all the processing it's been through?

John

. -----+-----+-----+ . | | | . LS LS LS . | | | . | | C . | | | . -----+-----+-----+

Cap value, if we wanted 2ohms at 1kHz so it doesnt affect the existing cap noticeably, that's 80uF. 47-100uF would be fine. Less might or might not be ok.

NT

Reply to
NT

Apparently, you forgot that he requested the polarity, NT.

Reply to
John S

there is no polarity for the capacitor. Do you always think people have forgotten something if they dont answer it?

Reply to
NT