Sony VX2100 won't auto focus-how is it supposed to work?

I have a Sony VX2100 that had the lens broken off the front. It ripped part of the ribbon cable going into the front lens. The part that has the manual focus and zoom rings and image stabilization stuff. It only actually ripped two wire runs that went to the manual focus ring. I've repaired that and also repaired the plastic housing that secured the lens to the camera. Everything works fine on the camera but the autofocus doesn't work at all. I can use the manual focus ring which just sends a signal to the focus motor and I can focus it fine that way. Also, when i put the focus switch to infinity the camera just goes completely blurry and also if I power it off and on again it starts up blurry and I have to re-focus it. Does anyone know how the autofocus works on these cameras? I"m also having trouble driving the zoom lens but that is a mechanical problem I'm working out. The zoom motor responds to the controls but I'm trying to repair the linkage to it. I don't believe this has anything to do with my problem but I'm open to all ideas at this point. A good understanding of how the autofocus is supposed to work would help me troubleshoot it.

Reply to
FixAll