Singer model 513 sewing machine problems

This machine most of the time sews fine except that on some ocaisions intermittently it will bunch up the thread underneath the cloth. I removed the bobbin case and noted that there are two small screws on this case. One is in a round hole and the other is in an oval hole. I found that the screw in the oval hole was not tight. There is no provision for any adjustment from side to side on the small piece inside this case that holds the bobbin thread however it is possible to tension the thread depending on how tight you tighten this screw. I don't think it is supposed to be tightened all the way because when I did that and tried to pass a thread through it would not go through. I had to loosen this screw about one and a half turns to let the bobbin thread slip throught the slot and then hook. I'm not familiar with this adjstment,(if it is an adjustment). Could this be the cause of the thread intermittently bunch? Can anyone please help me with this? Also is there a more appropriate news group that I might try that is dedicated to sewing machine repairs? Thanks, Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

(...)

The top and bottom thread tension are the usual problem. My guess is the bottom thread is adjusted too loose. It could also be the presser foot misadjusted or tripping the thread. It might be the feed dogs (under the foot) slipping or falling apart. Hard to tell without seeing it in action.

See:

Note the last photo on the bottom. If the bobbin thread doesn't pass between the feed dogs and then towards the back of the machine, the thread will probably bunch up.

Search Google for "sewing machine thread bunches":

etc...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

I can tell you that yes, that screw controls the bottom thread tension, and should be adjusted 'properly'. For you 'properly' is probably trial and error.

As to your 'bunching' (tangling) of the thread, I have no idea, I've seen this and it is a PITA...

Reply to
PeterD

It is usually the top thread which bunches underneath, check the top threading path and whether the top tension discs are working properly (they can be assembled back-to-front on some Singer models).

When it starts to do it again, gently pull the top thread where it goes down to the needle and see if it there is some resistance coming from the tension discs.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

Check your thread tension. Sounds like it's too high for the fabric you're sewing.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Larter

Sometimes it's just bad thread. My mom sewed most of her life, and she always had a small box of bad thread that was used to hand sew on buttons and such. It was strong enough, but not smooth enough to work in the various sewing machines she owned.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

.

That was very good advice guys. I really appreciate it. I'm going to work on it again and we'll see what happens. Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002