shunt/ current sense resistor question

In the process of finishing a 0-12 VDC @ 0-10 A switching power supply. Fairly new at this and wanted to ask about the shunt resistor. It will be in the ground line. Plans mentioned two options: either a custom shunt made from constantan wire or similar, or simply two 5W 0.1 ohm power resistors in parallel. Since I wanted to keep costs down, I am going with the power resistors, but I have a concern: I will be running

12 gauge wire for the output lines, but when the ground wire reaches the shunt, even the two resistors in parallel combined are far less than 12 gauge. Should I be concerned, or is the tiny resistor/ 12 gauge wire distance (basically just for the 12 ga wire to resistor wire connection) irrelevant to heating and losses?
Reply to
Jezebels_couz

If it's not too long, the heat might dissipate through the adjoining traces. (if they didn't lie about the resistor wattage, that is)

Reply to
Johann Klammer

12ga wire is 1.6R per 1000 feet*. If your connection is 6", its resistance is .0008R -
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

The small wire of the resistors should handle it just fine. The main reason for # 12 wire on the circuit is for the voltage drop.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Here's a diagram of what I was trying to explain. I wasn't sure I was very clear, so hopefully the diagram will better relate:

Jezebels_couz

wo

nted

ut

ned,

Here's a diagram of what I was trying to explain. I wasn't sure I was very clear, so hopefully the diagram will better relate:

Jezebels_couz

Here's a diagram of what I was trying to explain. I wasn't sure I was very clear, so hopefully the diagram will better relate:

Jezebels_couz

I understand what you are going to do.

To put your mind at ease Astron that makes power supplies has a 20 amp one that has two pass transistors. That means that each one would be good for 10 amps. They use only one .1 ohm 10 watt per transistor.

I have larger ones that do the same thing and they have worked for years with no problems.

Each of your resistors will need to be less than 3 watts at a 10 amp current if a quick calculation is correct.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Ok, just wanted to be sure as high current would still have to squeeze through those small areas and I wanted to minimize heating and loss. In my mind, it sort of defeated the purpose of using 12 gauge wire everywhere else to have a bottleneck at the end, but if all is well then no longer concerned. There will be two 5W resistors in parallel, so good to go on wattage. Thanks again.

Reply to
Jezebels_couz

Also, most current-sensing transformers don't need that high voltage (of shunt resistors) and can isolate any especially sensitive circuitry that might be there.

Reply to
Transition Zone