Should this halogen bulb work off a 24 volt socket?

It's a a 20 watt bulb I'm looking to power. Might go higher if I don't find the light bright enough. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Reply to
HiC

20w 24v bulb should be fine. Ditto 35 or 50w 24v.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No cars run on 12v, theyre 13-15v systems called 12v for historical reasons. 24v nominal or 28-29v real is standard voltage for truck electrical systems, which is what nearly all 24v bulbs are for, hence theyre really 28v bulbs.

I thought 24v was the off load supply voltage... but I accept its not

100% clear.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How about a neutral grey filter?

I was origianlly going to write a warning about testing the new bulb arrangement before using it on unreplaceable film, to check for melting or scorching of the film. However, if you are going to a lower power bulb, and it survives, you shouldn't have that problem.

Another worry: Are you planning to stop the film at each frame to capture the image? If so, beware of overheating the film. In normal use, each frame of the film spends a short time stopped for projection(1/24 second, is that right?) and is only illuminated for a portion of that time.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Some projectors dropped in a metal shield with small holes punched in it for still frame projection.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Homer J Simpson spake thus:

My old Hell & Bowel Filmosound has a neat little fail-safe "trap door" shield like that; a little perforated aluminum screen that's blown aloft by the fan so it's normally out of the way. If the fan ever fails for some reason, the screen drops into the light path.

--
  "In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
  population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority."
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Aircraft use 28V but I've never seen a 24V car, they're all 12V aside from very old 6V cars.

Reply to
James Sweet

IIRC many trucks use 24 volts.

Homer J Simpson