SDRAM arrrgh :(

I have bought some new type SDRAM (256Mb, 133, NCP) although seller told me it wouldn't work on pre-2001 motherboards (at that time I didn't know mobo was made in 2000). so it doesn't work. windows crashes on boot with blue screen and BIOS doesn't show text (!), only colored boxes :((((

I was told by salesman it would work at least as 128Mb. Since it doesn't, does it mean SDRAM is broken? I got some guarantee, and hopefully they will give me new one but it will be of the same type :( If that new module works as 128Mb, is it safe to use it? (computer is online 24/7)

BTW, I have only two slots and here are some details of my system, just in case it helps you to help me :)

CPU-Z Report

------------------------------------ CPU-Z version 1.26.

CPU(s) Number of CPUs 1 Name Intel Pentium III EB Code Name Coppermine Specification Intel Pentium III EB 666MHz Family / Model / Stepping 6 8 3 Extended Family / Model 0 0 Brand ID 2 Package Socket 370 FC-PGA Core Stepping cB0 Technology 0.18 µ Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE CPU Clock Speed 664.5 MHz Clock multiplier x 5.0 Front Side Bus Frequency 132.9 MHz Bus Speed 132.9 MHz L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size L1 Instruction Cache 16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size L2 Latency 0 L2 Speed 664.5 MHz (Full) L2 Location On Chip L2 ECC Check enabled L2 Data Prefetch Logic no L2 Bus Width 256 bits Mainboard and chipset Motherboard manufacturer FUJITSU SIEMENS Motherboard model D1170, S26361-D1170 BIOS vendor FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix Technologies Ltd. BIOS revision 4.06 Rev. 1.10.1170 BIOS release date 10/27/2000 Chipset Intel i810E rev. A3 Southbridge Intel 82801AA (ICH) rev. 2 Memory DRAM Type SDRAM DRAM Size 128 MBytes CAS# Latency 2.0 clocks RAS# to CAS# 2 clocks RAS# Precharge 2 clocks Cycle Time (TRAS) 5 clocks Bank Cycle Time (TRC) 7 clocks # of memory modules 1 Module 0 Hyundai Electronics SDRAM PC100 - 128 MBytes Software Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 2600) DirectX version 8.1b

Reply to
Pera Mitic

Sounds like you need low density RAM, PC100 or maybe even PC66. The PC100 should work, the problem is finding it. They're not making any more. (at least that I know of)

Got an eBay ID ? You might find some there, but I would suggest corresponding with the vendor. I would also DL the manual for the mobo and see what it says about RAM. There may be a jumper or a DIP switch that'll allow you to use what you have, although as a 128MB stick. Don't hold your breath though, but I would definitely look into it.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

And try computer recyclers.

NSM

JR North

From some checking, the intel 810 takes up to PC100 memory. Here is a link to the PNY page:

If you cannot find your MB number, do a search on a Intel 810E.

Notice the note on the home page about PC133memory being no longer backward compatible with PC100. SO i would say you need true PC100 memory. Maybe some further checking on single or double sided chips would be in order to. Some poking around the Intel site on the 810 chipset specs might give you some more ideas.

Also, i would strongly advice upgrading your Windows XP to SP2 and all the latest updates.

Bob

Bob Urz

You need LOW DENSITY PC133 memory. PC100 will not work as your FSB is

133MHZ and what you bought will only be seen as half of its capacity. Do not know what would occur if you use it as it. Might be OK?? no experience on that one.

I may have what you need if you are in the US.

Reply to
Salvatore