RPSU280A power supply for Strata DK280 phone system schematic wanted.

RPSU280A power supply for Strata DK280 phone system schematic wanted.

Block diagram or schematic would be nice.

Reply to
Bill Degener

First of all, you should give a brand name, not just the model. If you want to repair it, you need to start with the electrolytic capacitors. test them for high ESR. Then look for any shorted semiconductors.

There are several RPSU280A power supplies on Ebay for $25 or less. I doubt that you can buy the parts for that price.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If the O.P. intends to repair quantities of defective PSUs, the request makes sense.

Firm is in my backyard geographically - $25.00 sure is not much for a PSU of that size and complexity; if one is fortunate to live nearby, serious shipping costs are avoided, but if the O.P.'s posting IP is any indication, he would need to make a trip most of the way up I-35 to get it.

Michael

Reply to
msg

Model: Toshiba Strata DK280 Telephone system.

FIXED!

Cause: Multiple power surges from storm (yea it was on a UPS with 5 computer servers).

Symptom: All power lights erratically blinking, internal circuit breakers clattering like hell.

Fix: Re-flowed cold solder joints, cleaned small rails of trace residue (literally).

Replaced C014 39uf 35v cap (ESR was nuttin) with 33uf 35v (no 39uf unfortunately) .

Replaced C017 10uf 50v (high ESR). Replaced w/ 10uf 63v).

Replaced C013 47uf 50v with same value (proud of me for that one).

Location: Main board close to daughter board near DSUB pigtail connector.

Regards: Bill Degener

Reply to
Bill Degener

Yea, I too saw that same ad on EBAY for $25.00 Then I saw em for around $ 250.00 and up! Well, it cost me $ 0.75 for some caps and a few bucks in gas; so anyway all is well again.

Thanks:

Bill Degener

Reply to
Bill Degener

Probably had nothing to do with power surges, capacitors fail with age and heat, solder joints crack, none of that requires external stimulus to occur.

People tend to blame all sorts of faults on power surges, but in reality electronics are pretty resilient, it's hard to damage something with dirty power. Lightning strikes are another story, but there's little chance of stopping that even with the best surge protectors.

Reply to
James Sweet

I didn't say it didn't make sense. Even if he was going to repair thousands of those decade old power supplies, having a couple working, spare reference units couldn't hurt. Just that you are luck to even find a system manual, let alone service data.

is the system manual for this series.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I would agree, except I was standing there (with worn out caps and all). when the power restored, the power supply went schizo. Surge finished off the one bad cap.

Reply to
Bill Degener

I suspect what happened is there were a few dropped cycles as the UPS changed over, and with the worn out caps the PSU dropped out and was unable to start back up. Either way the important part is that you got it fixed.

Reply to
James Sweet

Besides, you know how complex, convoluted, and demented power supplies (engineering) can be. This thing is big! With that said, there was still poor regulation causing the caps to prematurely heat, gas and dry out.

Reply to
Bill Degener

Yea, today God likes me.

Reply to
Bill Degener

Just sit there and relax. I'll take care of the heavy stuff.

Reply to
Bill Degener

Have you ever serviced a 5 VDC 1000 A power supply with a three phase input? THAT is a big power supply.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Using a link posted in another ng you can find a lot of info on the Toshiba Strata DK series. Unfortunately no PSU circuits.

Usually, fault finding switch mode psu's (I assume the 280 uses one) is not too difficult so if you have any electronics repair skills have a go at fixing it.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Ebay

Ross Herbert

Just in case you need a spare for $25 + delivery.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Nope. That'll run a few devices. Telco switching supply I assume?

Reply to
Bill Degener

It would be nice for a spare and the price is worth it.

I didn't have any output values to work with at the supply. IT has a 10 pin Molex style connector. I found them at the cabinet side behind the harness. (3) -24v , +5 , and -5v. So that helped out tremendously.

Reply to
Bill Degener

Power supply for a "Vital Industries Squeeze Zoom" One of the first broadcast quality digital video special effects generators that could store NTSC video in RAM. It filled a full relay rack, with that power supply at the bottom.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You consider a simple power supply 'heavy stuff'?