be

select,

drives. The

differently, and

to be

being

-

I did notice 3 or 4 submin 2 or 3 way slide switches inside that Roland Panasonic FDD, gives a goodly number of permutations

Reply to
N_Cook

I just destroyed a Roland D-5 keyboard. What a piece of unrepairable junk. Hopefully, the XP-60 is better built. I could not determine if the XP-60 media uses 1.44MB or 720KB floppish. What is the make and muddle drive that is stock for the Roland XP-60?

I recently repaired a Korg DSS-1 with the traditional dead floppy disk drive problem.

If your XP60 requires a 720KB floppy drive, instead of the usual

1.44MByte floppy drive, you have to find one that has suitable jumpers available. This might also help:

If you're lucky, the only jumper you'll need to move is the drive select jumper, usually labeled DS0, DS1, DS2, and DS3. The common PC drive is set to DS1. Most of the synthesizers I've played with use DS0.

Oddly, all of the five or so synthesizers I've fixed that had floppy drives have all had dead floppy disk drives. My guess(tm) is that they die from static discharge while shoving the floppy into the drive. That's what killed mine. I've thought of electroplating the plastic front panel of the drive with metallic chrome or other metal, to discharge the static before the floppy enters the drive.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

never

This one is back with its owner. The FDD would solenoid? click at power up but no front LED, I assume a leads/connector problem unless a stuck spindle could lead to lack of LED

Reply to
N_Cook
1.44MB on this XP 60
Reply to
N_Cook

It's likely that it will accept any commodity PC style floppy drive. Just be sure to check the drive select line, which is probably set to DS0 (drive select zero).

Only $129 plus tax, shipping, handling, etc for a replacement. What a bargain:

This review kinda hints that you can do editing on the PC, save to floppy, and have the XP60 read the floppy without conversion games.

It's probably just easier to cram in a common floppy drive than to figure this out.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I had similar troubles with the S330 sampler floppy drive. A standard PC one didn't work but someone told me that floppy drives with jumpers on their back work if you set the right ones. Could not yet find a drive w/ jumpers to test if the advice was BS or not though.

Reply to
asdf

As I remember, early Roland units used the 3 inch Hitachi 360k byte minidisc. Electromechanically, they looked like the 5 1/4 inch DD drives. (Half the bit rate, and 300 RPM). Other major users of them were the Amstrad computers in the UK. And, I think, fancy sewing machines of the time.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

This is a Roland S10, don't know why S20 came to mind. Anyway you are

100% correct about the drive. I've done some research on it after owning it for several years. It was given to me by a relative who had purchased it new 20 some years ago. I have around 100 disks for it. It's a very nice sounding unit. You can sample into it and it has a good arpeggio function. Also works well with MIDI.
Meat Plow