Removing smoking smell out of electronics?

All: Actually the smell is a cross between some tobacco odor and a musky smell. It is coming from the inside of the TV especially when it is on. Any ideas about what this could be?

Keith Lee

Reply to
Keith

is coming from the

Is this a new TV or a fairly old TV? If old, you might ask the seller where he was living and under what conditions.

My guess(tm) is the cancer candidate, that trashed the TV with tobacco volatiles, was burning exotic tobacco blends, possibly in a wooden pipe. If so, you have a major cleanup operation ahead.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff: No, from what he emailed me last night, he barely used this one year old TV during the past year. The odors I am smelling smells more like new plastic. I will just have to break in this TV and smell the odors dissipate.

Keith Lee

Reply to
Keith

during the past year. The

this TV and smell the odors

Presumably you asked if he previous owner noticed the smell and had a clue as to its source. Also, it's considered good form to supply the model number.

Ok, so this TV is NOT new and was "barely used" for a year. The TV does not need to be turned on in order to accumulate a tobacco smell, or a musky smell for household pets and critters.

If it's tobacco, the outside of the TV will accumulate more tar than the inside. Spray some household cleaner on any obscure or hidden part of the case, and wipe with a clean while paper towel. If it's tobacco, you'll see a rather thick accumulation of brown stain on the towel. Wait a few minutes for the volatiles in the cleaner to dissipate and smell the paper towel. If it's tobacco, it will be obvious. I couldn't find a suitable litmus paper type of test for the presence of tobacco tar.

Burning plastic smells quite differently from tobacco or musk. I suggest you heat some scrap plastic in order to establish a reference smell. In general, plastic will melt before it starts to outgas, so expect to find some damage inside if it's burning plastic.

I've used a rubberized plastic hose or soda straw to isolate smoking components in the past. Stuff one end into your nose and wave the other end around the board until the source of the smell is identified. I successfully used this to find a smoking tantalum capacitor inside a Compaq server power supply. Don't inhale too much as many such burning components are toxic.

"Breaking In" the TV might not be a great idea. If it's a swollen electrolytic capacitor getting hot (and melting nearby components), letting it continue until it blows will probably cause some additional damage in the power supply area.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

=_NextPart_000_0365_01CB9A0D.AE30B0B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

smoke smell. Is there a way I can=20

The smell of stale tobacco smoke is one of the aromas that the human = nose is most sensitive to... literally 1 part per billion. A combination of partially oxidized heterocyclic nitrogen compounds with = a tiny bit of sulfur malodors thrown in. Yum.

Chemically, it takes a pretty strong oxidizer to actually destroy the = smell, so that's out for electronics.

Be advised that many plastics are VERY permeable to the odor molecules = and the case may act as an odor reservoir for a long time if it has been = exposed to smoke for long periods... even if their surfaces are clean. = Glass is impermeable, so no worries there.

However, the thin layer of tar that condenses on surfaces around smokers = is the main source of the odorants, so you have to get as much as that = off as you can.

I would disassemble the case and clean the INTERIOR plastic surfaces = with plastic friendly cleaners first, followed by clorox/water or clorox = wipes (strong enough to react the odorants). Don't try to clean the = circuit boards or cables. Too risky.

Rinse/wipe the case well with clean water afterwards, as you REALLY = don't want those chlorine molecules anywhere near your copper circuit = boards, even though they are "protected" with a conformal plastic film.=20

Unfortunately, the clorox wipes may discolor the plastic, so don't do it = on the outside of the case. Cleaning the outside surfaces with a plastic = friendly cleaner will physically remove the tars that hold and trap the = odor there as well.

Strong UV can photochemically accellerate the oxidation in air, but UV = strong enough to do that would also affect most plastics, particularly = silicone rubber seals. So attacking them is not a great idea for long = life.

The better approach is to either cook the smell out more rapidly by = running (and exhausting) clean warm air through the enclosure or to = capture the aroma molecules by trapping them on other larger = molecules/substrates that don't evaporate... like activated charcoal = (available in big bags in pet stores for fish tanks). Putting a small = porous fabric bag full of ACTIVATED charcoal in or near the case would = capture odor on the move. Bentonite or other expanded clays work too, = just not as well.

You will be surprised how much odor charcoal can scavenge and hold.

You can try to cover up the smell too, for some reason, raspberry is = more effective than most aromas in covering tobacco smoke. Vanilla works = a bit too.

Either that or take up smoking or invite over smoking friends to stink = up your place, so you can't smell the TV anymore.

Sorry for the Cliff Clavin approach here, but I actually worked on this = odorant chemistry in a previous professional life.

Reply to
DockScience

DS: Actually, the smell has dissipated. There is a slight plastic smell but only if you get close to the TV and smell behind it. Even that seems to be dissipating. Thank goodness. Now, I have a year old TV for less then half it's price then and more than 1/3 off it's new price today. :-)

Keith Lee

Reply to
Keith

All: Oh yes, thank you to those who gave me their advice. :-)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Keith

Reply to
Keith