Re: Power controller chip to turn on ATX

ff

no

with

rs

PSU

he

> >> PSU turn on. To what voltage does the PWR_ON (green wire) fall when

you

> >> push the ON/OFF switch? The MB must pull this wire lower than 1.5v f

or

> >> the PSU to turn on. I have seen enable logic failure modes where, fo
> >> example, 1.2v would not turn the PSU on, but 1.0v would. Check that > > >> voltage level before replacing any ICs on the MB. > > > >When I hit the pwr button that voltage level doesnt change.....(and > > >the switch is fine) > > > What are the standby voltages at the on/off pins on the motherboard > > header? If there is no +3.3VSB or +5VSB, I would check the LD1117 > > linear regulator near the ATX Molex connector. > > > FWIW, my old socket 7 motherboard uses an SiS 5597/5598 all-in-one > > chipset. The chip has an ONCTL# output pin which controls the PSU's > > PS_ON input, and a PWRBT# input pin which appears to connect directly > > to the on/off "power button". This is debounced internally by the > > chipset by means of a 30ms delay. The 4 second off timer is also > > handled internally by the chipset. > > > SiS5597, Silicon Integrated System, Pentium PCI/ISA Chipset:
> > > - Franc Zabkar > > -- > > Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email. > > Hi Franc, > > Excellent suggestions. There is 5v on the On/Off headers. > > This motherboard (ECS L4S5MG/561) uses the SiS561 chipset > (northbridge?) but whats the other chipset under the black heat sink? > southbridge? > > How do I work out the number of the other chipset short of degluing > it? > > -Al

Found it: SiS651 North Bridge and SiS 962L MuTIOL South Bridge chipsets.

Now I need to see if one of those chips controls ON/OFF switching. If it does then probably chipset dead?

-Cheers

-Al

Reply to
Al

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:22:12 -0700 (PDT), Al put finger to keyboard and composed:

Maybe a standby portion of the chipset is powered from the LD1117 regulator??? The PWRBT input may be 5V tolerant, which could explain why the on/off header measures 5V.

If the PWRBT input is indeed directly connected to the power button, then could it have suffered ESD damage???

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar